Sunday, July 23, 2006

Spiritually Fed Sunday

Today was a wonderful Sabbath day. We had the privilage of having the stake presidency and stake auxillary presidencies come and visit. In sacrament meeting, each of the Stake Presidency members spoke to us. President Mann spoke about what kind of member of the church we are; a sunbather (who doesn't want to get in the water, but watches others), a wader (who just gets his feet wet), or a swimmer (who immerses himself in living the gospel). Then President Catlett got up and had a brother from the ward get up and talk about his experience this week. He was assigned to be a home teacher for an inactive family in the ward. He could not get them to commit to an appointment so he went over there with his partner and mowed their lawn. He did it a couple of months, until the family finally committed to an appointment. Anyways, they started coming back to church a couple of weeks ago, and her friend was so touched that she started taking the discussions and was baptized yesterday and confirmed today in sacrament meeting. Then President Catlett got up again and spoke about how we need to be the same kind of home teacher/visiting teacher and that we need to reach out further than we are each day in the way that we live the gospel. We need to do more than read scriptures, say prayers, have family home evening, and go to the temple. We need to reach out to those around us and find ways to serve and lift those around us. It was very inspiring and uplifting. I am going to miss President Catlett SO much when we move. He will be one of the people that I miss the very most.

Singing time also went great today. I (Cory helped me a ton) created a pretend campfire with wood, orange and red iridescent wrapping paper, and a light to go underneath of it all. It looked awesome. I then created a little script of a program that consisted of little stories/exerpts of pioneer children journal entries (from the best book ever on Pioneers called "We Walked to Zion") and pioneer songs that we've learned this month. It was so fun!! I had all the children sit around the campfire on the ground, we turned the lights out and then me and Sister Curdy (a counselor in the Primary presidency) read the stories and then sang the songs in between. Sister Curdy and I dressed in pioneer clothes so that we'd look the part. The kids loved it!!!

2 comments:

becky said...

I thought I posted a comment on this last night. Maybe I just wrote in my blog instead. I'll have to check... I'm losing my head!!!

becky said...

So my comment isn't anywhere to be found!!! Well, I said something like Wow, Melissa, if all of us fulfilled our callings like you do what a world it would be!!! You put so much time and thought into your calling, you bless all whom you serve and are an example of magnifying your calling.

Blog Archive