Saturday, July 29, 2006

Proud Moment

I was babysitting a little girl named Emma the other day. Emma is 4 years old. Her and Katelund had been watching a movie and at the end of the movie there was music playing. Well Emma decided that she wanted to get up and dance to the music. Katelund wanted to join in on the fun, but Emma stopped her and said, (this is an exact quote) "No, Katelund, you can't dance because you're not pretty like me". It stopped me in my tracks, but before I could intervene, Katelund said, "Yes I am, my mommy tells me I am pretty." I came in and told them that they were both pretty and I would love to watch them dance together. I guess they really do listen to everything you say.

3 comments:

becky said...

OH WOW !!!! I don't know what to say. Girls can be so cruel to each other and it is starting at such a young age. I'm so glad that Katelund knew that she was pretty and I'm so glad that you have told her that. There will come a time when she might start doubting the things you have told her so just keep feeding her full of positive things so she can find her way through this world of negativism.

Katie Bear said...

Good for Katelund sticking up to her. Katelund is a beatiful little girl, and nobody should tell her otherwise!

Andrea said...

The fact that she already has a built-in self-esteem will definately make life easier during the pre-teen/teenage years! I guess you just have to continue building it up and strengthening it.

Blog Archive