Monday, July 31, 2006

Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy

Yesterday Cory and I gave talks in sacrament meeting. We were both asked to speak on keeping the Sabbath day holy. I studied and pondered all week long in preparation. It was such an awesome week. I learned so much and the last two Sabbaths have been the best ones that I have had in my life because through all my studying, the Sabbath day has had more meaning and importance to me than it ever has before. There was a youth speaker that was supposed to speak before us, but she ended up not being there, so we told the Bishop that we'd give our talks and then he could fill in the remaining time. Well, all I can say is it is a good thing the youth speaker wasn't there. I spoke for 25 minutes and then Cory spoke for 30 min. With an intermediate song in between, the meeting ended up going 10 minutes over. Oops. Oh well, we both felt really good about our talks and got a lot of compliments, so I guess people weren't too mad at us for going over. :) Anyways, I used the story in Exodus 16 of the manna miracle in the wilderness to begin my talk, and in the story the Lord is talking about the Sabbath day and he calls it, "the rest of the Holy Sabbath". So I based my talk around that phrase. In order to explain what the "rest of the Holy Sabbath" is, I used "rest" as an acronym. The r stood for renewing and remembering. The e stood for eliminating the distractions of the world. The s stood for spiritual feasting, and the t stood for turning tablets of stone into tablets of the heart. I got the idea one night at about 1 in the morning. It turned out great because I really received tons of inspiration on what I needed to say. I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost!!!!
]
We got a lot of packing done this weekend. There is still quite a lot to be done, but most of it is reorganizing what was already in boxes and gathering things from the garage, kitchen, office, etc that are ours. It will be intersting to see how our apartment looks considering the fact that we have no desk, dressers, tables, kitchen table, or chairs. All we have are our beds, a couch, recliner, and a little bookshelf I got for the girls. It is kindof like starting over again. I am really sad that we gave so much away in Rexburg, or that we didn't have enough room to take our desk or my wicker furniture from Arlington, but oh well, we will make do and the Lord will help provide a way for us to get what we need.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

It sounds like a great talk. Do you have a copy of it you could email to me? I would love to read it.

As for the move... just keep your head up and remember that you are doing the right thing. So everything will work out!

Blog Archive