Saturday, July 08, 2006

Reflecting on the Pioneers

Today I have really been studying, reading, and reflecting on the pioneers. I am teaching pioneer songs in primary tomorrow, and since I am not sure how to go about it, I have just been reading, reading, and reading. I went to lds.org and found a whole interactive webpage where you can click on each of the different camping/significant spots along the trail and read the info on that spot and also journal entries from pioneers. I spent an hour last night and a couple hours this morning reading all of the information and crying my eyes out. What an incredible way to get into the pioneer celebrating spirit, especially since June 9th marked the 150th anniversary for the handcart companies.

Tommorrow for singing time I am going to come in the primary room all decked out in some pioneer clothes that I am borrowing from Sherrie (she had for the trek they did a couple of years ago). I am going to pretend that I am one of the pioneers that was in the Martin Handcart company. I am going to tell some stories and then teach them "The Handcart Song". It is a really good song, and it was actually written by John Daniel Thompson McAllister, a member of one of the handcart companies. I am really excited.

What an incredible heritage that we have! I couldn't even imagine what it must have been like to be one of the pioneer mothers. In talking about the pioneers in this months Ensign, President Hinckley says, "As great things were expected of them, so are they of us. We note what they did with what they had. We have so much more, with an overwhelming challenge to go on and build the kingdom of God. There is so much to do." What a great responsiblity we have. I can't wait until the day that I face those pioneers on the other side of the veil. I would love to hear there stories as I kneel before them in reverence and awe of the great sacrifices they faced and the faitih, humility, and love of the Lord which carried them each step of the way.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Someday I need to spend time studying the stories of the pioneers. I am grateful for them, but I don't have those burning, emotional feelings that come to thsoe who have studied and come to understand all they did.

Blog Archive