Friday, November 14, 2008

Remembering

Since the beginning of the school year, Katelund has been taking a gymnastics class every Thursday. She loves going and I love going to watch her. One of the first times I took her, I was very surprised to find out that one of the girls in Katelund's class was the daughter of one of the doctors in my OB/GYN group. The first time I saw her there I didn't know what to do. I didn't know if I should talk to her or not. What if she didn't recognize me. Well she did. She came over and offered her condolences and asked me how I was doing. We talked and cried together for awhile. Ever since then I have only seen her one other time because she usually has her nanny there with her daughter. Well, yesterday she was there again. As we said our hellos and talked briefly, the memories all came flooding back to me.

As I drove home I couldn't help but go back in time as I remembered. I think about Clairisa every single day, but I try to forget some of the more traumatic details of that day...Saturday, July 26th. It was a Saturday that will forever be etched in my memory. A day where my worst fear became a reality. Friday night had been a horrible night. I had been having contractions every five minutes and I had a horrific pain in my back all night long. I kept calling the nurse but there was not a whole lot she could do for me. I was already taking the maximum dose of the procartia they were giving me to relax my uterus (it was very irritated b/c of where the placenta was located...which is why I was having pain and contractions). Anyways, it was a very long night and by the time the morning came, I was very tired and upset because I was just not feeling very good. I called Cory crying and he told me to hold tight because he was going to make me an omlet (Cory's omlets are AMAZINGLY delicious) and be up there with me as soon as he was done making it and after he bathed the girls. As we were getting off the phone, my favorite nurse, Tammy, came in to monitor Clairisa's heartbeat (a routine that was done for an hour every morning and for another hour in the evening). They normally don't monitor the baby's heartbeat so much while you're in the high risk maternal unit, but Clairisa had an arrhythmic heartbeat so they watched it closely. Her heartbeat would be between 140-180 (it was usually always in the 150s) but then it would drop really low for a couple of beats and then go back to normal. They said it was very normal and nothing to worry about but they still wanted to watch it closely. So while Tammy was monitoring it everything was great until the last 15 minutes. Her heartbeat dropped and wasn't coming up. We thought that she had just moved b/c when the monitor can't find the heartbeat it just stays where it was or goes to my heartbeat. Anyways, after a couple of minutes, we both started to feel a little anxious. She went out to call the doctor, but he just happened to be in the hallway at that very moment (this doctor was known for coming very late in the day to do his checkups, but for some reason he had felt impressed to do things differently that day). He came in with the ultrasound machine and by the time she was on the screen her heartbeat was very weak.

As much as I want to, I will never forget the next 15 minutes. When he said the words "we need to take her out now!", I can't even begin to tell you how scared I was. I was trying to call Cory but he wasn't answering (he was giving the girls a bath and didn't hear his phone) which made me panic even more. Once I was in the O.R. they were still trying to find her heartbeat just in case it bounced back up. At one point, the nurse got all excited b/c she said she'd found the heartbeat at 150. The doctor ran over and then said, "No, it's Melissa's heartbeat." It was such a surreal experience. I had a lot of things going through my mind, but honestly I never thought I would really lose her. By the time the doctor got her out and handed her to the pediatrician, her heart had stopped beating. My mom actually asked the doctor at one of my check-up appointments when her heart had stopped beating, but he said he didn't know. By the time he'd gotten to her it was very faint and then gone.

The biopsy of my placenta showed that there was an abruption, which means that my placenta had torn off of the uterus wall just a little bit...but enough to cause Clairisa to lose too much blood. Had it happened on Friday night when I was experiencing so much pain? I don't know. But I do know the Lord was in control. It was all in his hands. I know that with all of my heart. But, as I flash back on the previous experience, I feel my heart trembling within me as I think about what could have been. I miss her. I miss her everyday. Traumatic experiences really change a person. I feel like in many ways I feel more gratitude and love, but in other ways, I feel like I just want to run and hide and pretend like it never happened. It is hard to remember the details. To remember when they told me she had not made it. To remember holding her for the first and last time. To remember giving her to the nurse and watching her lay her little body in a box that I would never be able to open again. To remember waking up on Sunday morning and crying in agony because it really hadn't just been a bad dream. To remember attending my own child's funeral.

It hurts, but remembering is part of healing.

{Thank you to my friend, Laura C., who spent so much time with me yesterday while I was visiting teaching to just let me remember.}

14 comments:

Jenny P. said...

I'm sure it isn't an easy story to tell, but I'm glad you did. I can't even imagine how difficult it was, Melissa. I'm so sorry you had to go through this, and have so much respect for and admiration for how you've handled it all.

I know you will influence and strengthen others through your willingness to open your heart and reach out...

in time out said...

I just found your blog today. As I read your post I cried for your loss. I don't know you, but from your words I can feel you are amazing, and hurting.

You will always miss her. I wish I knew what to say. Loss is painful. Thanks for sharing.

Jen said...

Remembering is part of healing...but it must hurt so much to re-live those painful moments.

I love you Melissa. Thank you for sharing your story. I join your other friends and family that still weep with you for your loss. I hope you will always feel free to include those who love you in your rememberings. It's too much to bear alone.

On a happier note, thanks for your great example of strength and motherhood! I love reading your blog and being inspired by your example!

Crystal said...

I too think about you often and hope that you do find some comfort. Just know that I am praying for you

MANDY said...

Melissa, I don't even know what to say......remembering and experiencing that loss again, in your mind and heart, must be excruciating. I think you'll always feel that loss, but that with time the sharpness and crushing grief will soften when you remember. I can't even begin to understand what you have gone through and continue to feel because I've not felt it in my own life, but I know that you are handling it exactly as you should and that you are strong and faithful....those qualities will push you through any pain in this life. I LOVE YOU! Thank you for sharing.... I'm sure sharing continues to be therapeutic. I'm so proud of you.

Unknown said...

I think the previous comments say it all. You are amazing for sharing your story. Love you!

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
InkMom said...

That's what we're here for, right? To listen, and offer tacit comfort even if the only way we know each other is through the written word.

I love you for sharing this, and remembering out loud.

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa, sometimes our memories are our greatest pain and sometime they are our greatest joy. Holding Clairisa that night contains both memories for me. Though the time to hold her now has past, I hold onto the memory of those brief yet eternal precious hours given to us to sustain our hearts until we hold her forever, never to be taken from us again.
Thank you for those memories, I am reminded of the debt of gratitude to our Father in Heaven and for His tender mercies.
love, mom by the beach

erin sheely said...

I know everyone has said it but thank you for sharing this. I know there is nothing I can say to lessen the pain. I just want you to know that I love you and am praying for you.

Jenna said...

I know that must have beeh hard but again thanks for sharing. I think that shows a great deal of strength to be able to do so.

C. Leah said...

Melissa, I can't even imagine what you must feel and what the past few months have been like for you.
I know I've said it before, but I'm so sorry. My heart just breaks for you and your husband...

That being said, I've wondered ever since I read that your daughter passed away how it happened? And even though I don't know you, we have some things in common. I haven't had to go thru the loss of loosing a baby. But the circumstances in which your delivery happened, are very similar to mine. I had an abruption twice, (literally bled to death) and had it not been for the Holy Ghost (long story), neither me or one of my boys would not have made it. I know this is no consolation to what you are experiencing, but I know the feeling(s) prior that you had, and the rush that came at delivery. May Heavenly Father bless you and your family.

Tricia said...

Your sharing increases my faith in the Eternal Plan of Happiness and our purposes here in this life. Despite your acute pain in the loss of your beloved daughter, Clairisa, your testimony shines through in your words. Thank you for choosing to share your story. I love you, Melissa.

Abby said...

Oh, Melissa! Im so sorry. My heart aches for what you and Cory had/have to go through. I can't even begin to imagine how it was to go to your baby girl's funeral. I wish I could've been there to cry with you. I hope that we are able to stay in touch better through blogs and facebook. Your girls are beautiful and look just like their Mom!

Blog Archive