Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Always a Race!!

Last night we took a family trip to Walmart. (sounds fun, huh?) After we got the three things that we'd gone for, we went to the front of the store to wait in line. We went to the lines that were "20 items or less". For each of the lines that were open, there were about four people in line already and I swear some of the people had at least 21 items. Anyways, so Cory chose a line and I chose a line. I thought for sure that the line I chose was going to be the fastest one. Well, we waited and waited and it was really looking like I was going to win, but it was close....too close. By this point, Cory and I's competitive sides were very apparent. I was actually getting nervous. Cloey was cheering my side on and Katelund was cheering Cory's side (that is always how it goes). Then...BAM...it always happens like this....something went wrong and the cashier in MY LINE had to call for a manager. WHY??? It always happens to my lines. In fact, it happened at the bank just last week. But the bigger question is...why do I care? Why does it always have to be a race? I think it is something my dad ingrained in me. He would always say, "Everything is a race." I was pretty upset but then....oh wait...it wasn't over. I had taken the cart over to Cory's aisle (only b/c he was the one with the money and I thought the race was over), but then the manager came over to the cashier right as it was our turn. He had to take some cash out of the register. In the end, it was a dead tie. I couldn't have been more happy (that's actually a lie, I would've been happier if I'd have won). :)

5 comments:

Jenny P. said...

You are totally hilarious! Check out line races... what a way to spend a night together as a family!

InkMom said...

Sounds like your Walmart might not be a happier place than the one inspiring my boycott after all! (Want to join me in my one-woman stand against extreme corporate predatory pricing practices and subversive store layouts designed to make you spend way more than you need to? No? Oh, well. I secretly, every once in a while in the wee hours of the morning, want to just get it all done in one store. And then MommyJ makes me go in the store with her, and I refuse to allow any commerce to transact between my wallet and said devil-store, and I remember why I quit going in the first place. Sigh. Why must I make everything so complicated?)

Oh, wow, I think I just had a split personality moment.

Can't wait 'til Friday!

Anonymous said...

Your dad is absolutely right. Life is a race and it is better to win than to lose.

All Fun Family said...

Oh my goodness, I know what you mean. I'm very competitive too. It must be dad's fault. Jason is also very competitive. I agree, it's hard to remember that life is not a race and I don't have to win at everything.

MANDY said...

I'm guessing anonymous is your dad? haha How funny....I do catch myself competing about silly things with B sometimes....like whose route is faster to the movie theater or who has folded the most clothes in the shortest period of time.

Blog Archive