Friday, October 03, 2008

My Dearest Clairisa,

Tomorrow is the day. The day that I was supposed to be in labor with you, my last beautiful baby girl. It was a day that was supposed to be absolutely perfect. Instead, tomorrow will be a day filled with emptiness, loneliness, tears, and sorrow. A day where my empty arms will hang in agony and a day where my broken heart will seem to shatter all over again. Losing you has been one of the hardest experiences of my life because it has made me feel one of the most intense and paralyzing pains of mortality...the pain of losing a child, a baby, a perfect gift from God above. This experience has also been one that has brought me more purpose and motivation, a greater love for those around me, and a clearer understanding and recognition of my Heavenly Father, my Savior Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.

I feel such a greater urgency to fortify our family and to strengthen your sisters. We all want to be with you again, and that means that we must be more diligent, faithful, and steadfast. I do not understand God's purpose for all things, but what I do know is that there is a plan and a purpose for each of us in our family and your short little life has given us a glimpse of eternity, a glimpse of Deity, a glimpse of what we must become, and a glimpse of all that we must do to fulfill such divine roles.

One of those glimpses came when I came home from the hospital without you. As horrible and heart-wrenching as that experience was, it was also one of the most precious and sacred experiences that I have ever had. When your Daddy laid his hands on my head to plead with our Father to send comfort and love, I felt as if the powers of heaven were sent down to strengthen me during a time when I wanted to die and to comfort me at a time when I felt lonelier than I have ever felt in my life. In your Grandma Black's car that rainy afternoon, as I was cradled in your Daddy's arms, I felt not only the powers of heaven, but also the love and concern of a Father in heaven who knew that in that moment I needed His love and comfort more than I have ever needed it. During that car ride, I felt the loneliness disappear as I knew with in my soul that my Savior Jesus Christ knew exactly how I felt and that he would never leave me to suffer alone. I also literally felt the Holy Ghost fulfilling His divine role as the Comforter. As Cory's arms were wrapped around my shoulders, the presence of the Spirit was wrapped around my entire body. Clairisa, I don't know if you were there with me as well, but I feel as if you were. The glimpse of divinity that was shown to me that day is one that will forever be etched in my heart.

At your graveside service, your Grandpa Mann said that your life would be the means of creating miracles and healing hearts. Clairisa, I have already seen this happen as I have shared your life and death with those around me. You have touched people's hearts and in so doing you have fulfilled your divine role. The amazing thing is that in the process of touching so many lifes and effecting so many people, the most powerful healing I have witnessed has been within my heart and your Daddy's, and for that my sweet little angel, I will eternally be grateful.

Years ago I began praying for a missionary. Unexpectedly, Clairisa, your life and death has opened the doors to the gospel of Jesus Christ for many and I know that your work as a missionary has only begun. You have changed my life and many others in so many ways. Thank you. Thank you for strengthening our family and giving us greater vision. Thank you for showing us the way to eternity. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I look forward to the day when I will hold you in my arms once again and look into your sweet angelic face and beautiful eyes and feel of your pure, perfect heart. That is the day of my dreams. God be with us both till we meet again!
Love Always and Forever,
Mom

10 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh my heart breaks for you and your family. You have been really close to my heart and thoughts lately. A couple of Sundays ago a 6 yr old girl in my parents ward suddenly collapsed and died at the end of Primary. As things have went on this past week with the funeral and such my heart has ached for that family and always my thoughts were drawn back to you. Through the comments that you have made I have found some comfort, hope, and a strong desire to live better. I hope that this weekend you can find some peace and comfort and love from all those around you.

erin sheely said...

You sweet girl. I will be praying for you. You are an amazing mother and all three of your girls are so lucky to have you.

Andrea said...

I love you.

Sherrie said...

Once again I felt the spirit of our beautiful Clairisa through the gift of the Holy Ghost and the tender feelings of your heart and mind Thank you for providing such a moment in time that wil carry into eternity.
Mom

Deon said...

Thank you for sharing this very intimate moment with all of us. I can't help but reflect on a couple of years ago when I wrote a similar letter to the little girl that I lost. I keep it in my journal and read it every now and again. I feel her spirit often and know that she knows us and wants us to be happy. Maybe they are friends? :)
I'm sure that she is very proud of you and misses all of you too. I still remember the day that you and Cory brought by cookies to me and gave me love and comfort. Oh how I wish that I could be there for you. You and your family are in my prayers. We love you!

Deana said...

What a beautiful letter. After watching confernce today, this really makes me so thankful for a loving Father in Heaven and a caring Savior to help us and bouy us up in times of grief and sorrow. I have been touched by little Clarissa and her sweet spirit. Thank you Melissa for sharing this with all of us. I love you and appreciate your strength and testimony. May angels attend you in times of sorrow as you heal from this trial in your life.

canihavethisdance said...

What a sweet and tender letter.
Thank you for sharing your strength and testimony. I thought of you many times during conference and know that you were uplifted and encouraged by the messages. Our prayers continue to be with you!

MANDY said...

I love you. Tell Cory we love him ,too, and Katelund and Cloey. I'm so inspired by you, your faith, your love.....thank you for being who you are and sharing it with us.

C. Leah said...

That was the most beautiful letter I have ever read, and it brought tears. Thank you for sharing that for me (and others) to read.

-carmen :)

Regina said...

Melissa, I am sure you do not remember me, but I was in your stake growing up. I am so sorry to hear about your little girl. I marvel at your strength, it's inspiring. This letter is beautiful. My prayers are with you and Cory.

Blog Archive