Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Busyness

My life has been so crazy busy the last couple of weeks. Here's a list of some of the things that
I've been up to...

*A week ago, I attended my very first baby shower since Clairisa's death. I wasn't going to go but I was asked to help with the food so I decided to go and see how long I could last without falling apart. I actually held it in the whole time. I bawled for about an hour afterwards, but I did it.

*I planned, organized, shopped, and cooked for a pancake breakfast/planning meeting for the youth in our ward. We planned out all of the combined Wed. night activities for all of 2009.

* I am helping plan for a wedding reception at the beginning of the year and a baby shower next month (not for the same person) :)

* I have been getting crafty making YW in Excellence invitations and baby shower gifts.

* I've been shopping and making kits for the crafts that I am teaching at our ward's upcoming Super Saturday.

* I spent this morning decorating the gym for YW in Excellence tomorrow (it looks SO GOOD).

*I've been reading a book that a member of our stake presidency wrote about the Book of Mormon. It is in review at Oxford where it will hopefully be published. Oxford has one copy of it and guess who has the other...that would be me (I'm a family friend).

* Amber (my sister-in-law) had her baby last Friday. She named her Callie Clairisa. She is absolutely beautiful. I was so happy for her family but it was also a really hard day for me. There were a lot of tears shed that day; happy ones and sad ones.

* I went on a hike with the youth in our ward up in the mountains. It was breath-taking!! I LOVE Asheville in the fall.

*Youth fireside, BYC, interviews, and YW presidency meetings.

*And...on top of it all, I've had to be a single parent a lot lately b/c it is the time of year for Cory when he has to travel a lot and work lots of hours, which means I have to drag my girls around with me everywhere. They are beginning to hear the phrase "Don't touch that, it is for Young Womens" way too much.

Life is busy and crazy, but it is good. Cory is so supportive of me. He holds me when I cry, makes me laugh when I need a pick-me-up, and does so much for me all of the time. Katelund and Cloey are also so wonderful and patient with me. I am looking forward to next week when life will slow down for a little bit, but at the same time I am grateful for the busyness b/c it keeps me going strong each day. On days where there isn't much to do, I find myself feeling more down than usual. Time does heal all wounds, but I think that losing a child leaves a scar that never disappears and the pain never really goes away either. At the youth fireside on Sunday, the speaker played an interview with Viktor Frankl. In it he said the following, "despair= suffering - meaning". I think that is SO incredibly true. Although I have definitely felt suffering, I don't feel despair because there is meaning. There is meaning in life and death, and because of that, I feel hope.

9 comments:

MANDY said...

Wow, Melissa! You are definitely right up there with Sherrie on the busy-with-life-and-service list! I am in awe of you! I so wanted to call you on Friday, but I never had any privacy to do so (I was at a RS Retreat). I want to call you today, but it sounds like you are super busy with YW in Excellence, so I'll try tomorrow? I love you!

Jenny P. said...

wow, you have been busy! Our young women in excellence is at the end of next month... I'm just getting in to all the planning and things you've been doing for young womens the past two weeks.. (don't tell anyone, but I am totally jealous that you are at the end of it, and I'm just starting!)

I bet you'll be relieved tomorrow! And... I hope you'll be at training on saturday!

Unknown said...

Holy smokes girl! You've got a lot on your plate! I'm excited to hear about how your YW in Excellence turns out. I'm sure it will be wonderful!

I'm thinking of you!
dest

Melissa said...

You are one busy girl! I'm sure you do great at everything, especially your calling. You're perfect for the job. My life seems a little slow right now, until this saturday, and then it picks up like crazy! aaahhh We have our Primary Program on Sunday, and though I'm not really nervous, it's a big responsiblity that falls on my shoulders. I love seeing your outlook on life. You inspire me.

All Fun Family said...

Wow, you are anxiously engaged in a million good causes! I knew Young Women's President was a demanding calling, but seeing your schedule still amazes me. You're awesome!

Lew said...

How the heck do you do it all?? I'm sure you are the most amazing YW President ever. I just know the girls love you.
One of my very favorite books is "Man's Search for Meaning", by Victor Frankl. It is so awesome and really does teach to find meaning in your suffering. I'd highly recommend it if you haven't read it.
Love ya girl!!
Leslie

Melissa said...

Leslie,
That is one of my all-time favorite books!!! I love it. I am just dying to get your pumpkin cookie recipe. Destinee is supposed to get it to me.

Amber said...

You are so amazing!! I'm not sure how you keep up with it all. I would love to see the craft that you're working on and how your YWIE invitations, etc work out.

I love you so much!

Crystal said...

Oh my! I am glad I am not that busy! But I know what you mean about being a single parent. Seth is a tax accountant and between the months of January and April 15th he is out of commission! So I feel for you. I hope that everything you are planning and working hard on will work out the way you plan!

Blog Archive