Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I Just Don't Get It...

Yesterday I had to run up to the school to take two $5 bills to each of my girls. Why? So that they could participate in Jump Rope for Heart. I am not a fan of school fundraisers (I know, I'm a horrible mom like that), but especially not ones where I feel manipulated into donating money. I looked up Jump Rope for Heart online, and yes it does seem like a great thing, but why the heck do you not allow kids the opportunity to jump rope if they don't donate at least $5? What is the real message we are sending? How about instead of just having parents pay money to help support heart research, we educate and allow children the opportunity to not only raise money (if they would like to) but ALSO, and most importantly, the opportunity to jump rope to fun music and a disco ball because we are trying to teach children the importance of physical exercise and the benefits they will receive from it....you know, like a healthy heart. If we are really trying to save lives and support healthy hearts, then wouldn't we want ALL children to participate??? I just don't get it. (By the way, Cloey was still not allowed to particpate because apparently her shoes were not "safe" enough...seriously???!!! I actually wrote a note to her teacher this morning asking for the $5 back, but then I felt really bad and decided not to send it).

3 comments:

All Fun Family said...

Wow, that's messed up. You make a very good point.

Rebecca said...

I would have sent a note (or wanted to) too!

Mary said...

Our school does the same thing. Had the same problem last year with Bella, but a friend gave her a dollar our school minimum to jump.

Blog Archive