Thursday, November 01, 2007

Seasons of Life





















A leaf upon one single tree,

is symbolic of the life one leads.

In the spring, the bud is born,

Just as a spirit from home is torn.

The sun and water provide daily needs,

Like the Living Water, or the Son, whose words we must always heed.

The years go by the days grow long,

Summer is here and sweet is the song.

Some days are rainy and some are clear,

But time we have with loved ones near.

As days get shorter and nights become cool,

Our memories will serve us as our greatest tool.

With Autumn comes beauty and wisdom anew,

And time becomes precious with perspective in view.

As winter draws near,

There is no reason to fear.

For as we part for a season,

In rejoicing there truly is reason.

The color will fade the darkness will come,

But life is not over, it has only just begun.

Today has been a really hard day for me. My Grandpa Black, who has had such an incredible and powerful influence on me, is approaching the "winter" in his life. I have spent a lot of the day crying and praying. I cannot even begin to put into words my feelings, so instead I wrote the above poem. I don't know what it is about writing, but it truly is a healing agent in my life. I don't know when the end is going to be for my Grandpa, but I do know that it really is only the beginning for him, and that we will be together again. He has lived a remarkable life and he will leave behind him a legacy and example for many generations to come. I am not ready to let him go, but I know that he will return home with honor and glory. Grandpa, I love you.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Melissa, I'm so sorry to hear your grandpa is not doing well. The poem you wrote is beautiful. I hope things go well. love Melissa

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Hey Melissa,
It's your old neighbor, Beth. I've just started my own blog page at http://johnsoer.blogspot.com/. I'm so sorry to hear about your grand father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I definetly need to call you sometime so we can catch up.

Until then.
~Beth

Katie Bear said...

That is a beautiful poem, Melissa, thanks for sharing.

Andrea said...

I think you did a great job putting thoughts in words. It's perfect.

Jen said...

Beautiful poem. I'm sorry to hear about Grandpa Black. I always enjoyed visiting their house when you came to visit. Send him my love--your family will be in our prayers.

Nicole said...

Melissa that is beautiful. I know how you feel. My thoughts have been with you and Andrea.

Blog Archive