Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Heart of Gold


Last night we took the girls to McDonalds (they actually call it "Old McDonalds") to get ice cream cones. As we were leaving we walked out the door and passed a guy who looked pretty dirty and worn down. He asked Cory if he had any money he could spare so he could buy some dinner. Cory's first response was "No, sorry man I don't have any cash on me". Then after he buckled Cloey in her car seat he walked back over to him and told him to follow him. He went inside McDonalds and let him order whatever he wanted and then he paid for it. I was watching from the car as my eyes were tearing up and my heart was overflowing with love for such an incredible man. Really, I wasn't surprised because he does this kind of thing all of the time. As I've been on the phone with him as he's driving home from work he has pulled over numerous times to help jump a car, change a tire, push a car out of the road, give a ride etc. Sometimes I find myself looking at his weaknesses and I forgot or overlook all of the incredible things that he always does. It is just part of who he is. He has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I know. He is always finding ways to show his love for others, especially his family. He teaches me all of the time as he selflessly gives to not just those he loves, but those whom he doesn't even know. He truly has a heart of gold.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

That's awesome. What a great example for your kids!

Jen said...

I love what you said about how you sometimes find yourself focusing on your husband's weaknesses and overlook his great qualities. Whenever I find myself dwelling on something that bothers me about Alex--I remind myself how grateful I am that he doesn't often remind me of my flaws--I beat myself up enough for the both of us!

We all have things we could do better--but when we focus on the WONDERFUL things that others do--we start to overlook their flaws. And when we tell them we think they are wonderful--they try harder to fit that mold.

Thanks for the great story! Sounds like you picked a good guy!

Lisa said...

what a great story! i just love that. i too sometime (more often than i would like to admit) look at and take way out of proportion bad things about my husband, and totally forget about the good. thanks for reminding us all to remember the great things that made us fall for our husbands.

Blog Archive