Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I am thankful for...


...my Grandpa Black!!!

Last Thursday I had the great opportunity to fly out for my Grandpa's funeral in American Fork, Utah. It was a weekend that I will never forget. I was able to be with my two sisters and my parents as we helped my Grandma do all the MANY THINGS that you have to do in order to have a funeral. I can't believe how much preparatory work is involved. It was so amazing to watch my dad reaching out to comfort and strengthen his mom in the most tender and unforgettable way. It was also so wonderful to spend some one on one time with my two incredible sisters and my dear mother.

I could go on and on describing how incredible my Grandpa was. He certainly typified what it means to lose yourselves in the service of the Lord. He lived to love and serve anyone and everyone around him. At the viewing there were about 250 + people there of whom my Grandpa had touched in some way. Then, the next day at the funeral there was probably at least 100 more that came to the viewing before the funeral. I just wish I could share the talks that were given, the stories upon stories that were told of quiet service he rendered, the countless number of friends that he had in his lifetime, his many accomplishments throughout his life, etc... Words are just not adequate enough to describe the feelings that I felt this weekend, but to summarize it all I would have to say that I left with a greater desire to be better, do more, and live my life focusing more on others. I know that my Grandpa has returned to his heavenly home with glory and honor. Grandpa, I love you! May God be with our family until we all meet again in the presence of our Lord, Savior, and King.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I am so sorry about your loss Melissa. I know that he was special to you and meant a lot. I am glad that you had to opportunity to be with your family at that time. My grandpa died last week too but I didn't want to go to the funeral. I hope that y'all have a great holiday.

Amber said...

Mel,

I am so glad you were able to be with your family at such a special & spiritual time. From the little that I met him, I know that he was an amazing man. How grateful we are for the Plan of Happiness. I love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss! I am so thankful for the Plan of Salvation....

Blog Archive