Thursday, November 15, 2007

I am thankful for...

... the New Testament student manual. I LOVE it!! The manual ("The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostle") adds so many incredible insights. It just enriches my study of the New Testament in a remarkable way. I was studying the parable of the sower (my favorite parable that Christ gave) and I came across the following poem in the student manual...so I just had to share it.

To preface the poem, the author wrote the following; It is hoped that as you contemplate these teachings of the Master, you will consider your own soil--your own heart. Could it use some softening, some deepening, some cultivation--even, perhaps, some weeding?

When gospel truth is gently sown
in my unlearned heart,
I hope it finds no hardened crust
or wayside paths apart.

Nor even drops on softer spot
with hardness just below,
Where faithless, poorly rooted sprouts
are doomed to never grow.

I pray it shall not fall in dirt
Where thorns have made their bed.
Where choking plants, 'mid worldly cares,
grow fruitless, nearly dead.

But let that seed find fertile soil
in deep and clean abode,
And drawing life, yield true and full
to Him who gently sowed.
-Anonymous

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was an awesome poem! Sherrie gave me the link to your blog, I hope you don't mind. She was instrumental in my joining the church many years ago when I was a teenager in Arlington, and I like to keep up with her and her family. I met you at Amber's reception. Your girls are absolutely gorgeous!

Amber said...

mel,

i love you & my prayers are with you and your family.

Ashlie said...

Melissa! Thanks so much for being a great friend. That was a beautiful poem. I love reading the happenings of your family and the absolutely adorable things your girls do. They were always a blast to be around. :)

Blog Archive