Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Standing Alone


The other day I was washing a bag of grapes. As I poured some out into a bowl for lunch, I realized that at the very bottom of the bag was one green grape. As I took it out and placed it on the top of the other purple grapes, the Holy Ghost impressed upon me the significance and importance of standing out and being different from the "world". As a member of the church, we are told that we are a peculiar people, but I think sometimes it becomes very easy to just try to blend in with everyone else. I find myself doing this at times when I feel like I am immersing myself too much into the things of the world. I will be eternally grateful for the fact that I grew up with different values, standards, and beliefs than those around me. I am grateful that I chose to continue being different as I began my own family traditions of scripture reading, family home evening, prayer, temple attendance, and service. Lately, I have really felt satan working on me. There have been times where I have really felt like I had to stand alone in a bowl full of purple grapes, but really I am never alone. One of my favorite songs is "I'll Never Stand Alone" from the Cumorah's Hill CD. In the song it says, "I stand with Nephi and Moroni, and Abinidai who testified in flames....when I walk with God, I'll never stand alone".

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I LOVE the picture... and the analogy.

Sheri Kay said...

"When you stand for what is right, you often stand alone." Richard reminded me of that today. Thank you for sharing your inspiration!

Blog Archive