Monday, January 26, 2009

Joy in January???

I have seriously got to pull myself together. I don't know if you have noticed but I feel like all of my posts lately have been so negative. I know that depression-like symptoms are very common in the month of January. In fact, January 21st has been declared the most depressing day of the year. I don't know if it is because all of the holidays are over, resolutions made have already been broken, or if it is just because of all of the cold cloudy weather. Whatever the reason may be, I have been feeling more down than normal and I don't like it.

This last week I have really been focusing a lot of time and energy into New Beginnings. Most everything is ready to go...except for my talk where I go into detail of the theme that we have chosen....which is "Joy in the Journey". The funny thing about the theme is that ironically I chose it, and I think that I need it more than anyone else.

As I have been studying and pondering upon what I should say at New Beginnings, I came across the following quote,
"It is the hope of arrival that can strengthen faith during the journey."

I just kept reading it over and over. Hope has been something near and dear to my heart over the last couple of years. Hope is what gave me the strength to get through some very difficult times. Hope is what kept me going after losing Clairisa. Hope is what keeps me repenting and trying to be better each day. Hope is what gets me through the monotony of housework and the frustrations of motherhood. It is hope that gets me through my bad days and gives me the endurance that I need to get through the "Januarys" of my life.

I am so glad that January is almost over because I am ready to move on, to move forward, and most importantly to... ENJOY THE JOURNEY.

9 comments:

Amber said...

you rock!! can i be you??

All Fun Family said...

Well, this post was a bit more uplifting than the last. I got kind of queasy reading about the blood and puke.

It's so easy to get bogged down and stressed out about life, and I feel like I too often forget to enjoy the journey. Thanks for the reminder!

Rebecca said...

I love that quote! And I feel the same way. I am so ready for February.

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Staceroo said...

Joy in the journey is always so much easier when you're coasting than when you're climbing a high summit. Sometimes I think Joy in the journey is knowing that, no matter how rough it is, Heavenly Father can bring good out of even the toughest situations if we put our trust in Him. Also, if you're still looking for ideas for your talk, I highly recommend "Looking to the Lord" by Mary N. Cook in the September 2008 Ensign. I know you'll do great!

Unknown said...

Loved this post. And I really want to get together. But...after your previous post I decided to wait a few days first! I detest vomit.
love ya!

Lena said...

I know what you mean! Sometimes I feel like the kid in the backseat saying "are we there yet?" My husband's birthday is Jan 21st! I hope he doesn't think it was the most depressing day of the year, lol! I hope my girls have someone like you when they get to YW.

MANDY said...

My twin sisters' birthday is Jan. 21, and this year it may have actually been depressing because they turned 30! haha Well, back to the point...as always I loved your post and the way you find bits of inspiration and hope in so many different places, words, thoughts....etc.

Sherrie said...

I shout loudly.."YES THAT IS MY GRANDDAUGHTER.
Looking in their eyes (all my grandchildren) I find a great brightness of hope and everlasting joy!

PS IF Logan reads this blog he most likely will repeat what he says almost every time I mention something wonderful my grandchildren have done "... The baby, the baby, the baby." If you know anything about our family you will know where that comes from.
Love Mom by the beach

Blog Archive