Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Dear Barbara Park,

I just want to write you a letter on my blog to let you know how much my children LOVE your Junie B. Jones books. I have never seen my five year old daughter get so giddy and excited over a book. As I sit and read to her, she waits in anticipation to find out what is coming up next. She can't wait for me to turn the page and she dreads the moment that I tell her that we are done for the night and we'll finish the book tomorrow.

They really are great books, but there is one problem. No one else is allowed to read them to my children b/c I have to do quite a bit of editing while reading aloud. I'm sorry Barbara, but I am NOT going to read bad grammar to my children and I am absolutely NOT going to read the parts when she says that things are "dumb and stupid". My daughter really doesn't need to pick up any more attitude. She has enough, thank you.

But on the other hand, they really are cute stories and I am NOT going to stop reading books that make Katelund get all giddy and excited when I start reading and that make her sad when I stop....so on that note, thank you Barbara for keeping my kids up at night so we can read about a little girl with a little too much attitude. :)

Love, Melissa

10 comments:

Melissa said...

That's EXACTLY how I feel! I love those books, but I too have to edit a little bit, especially the grammer. : ) I'm glad your girls like them so much.

Amber said...

I'll have to look into these books. I've never read them before. I'll be sure to watch out for the bad grammar. :)

Crystal said...

I know what you mean I can't belive how many books and cartoons just have a little too much negativity with stupid,idiot, fighting, ect. I don't need my innocent children being introduced to it too early, and I know once they start school they will. I just want to keep them as young as possible.

MANDY said...

I guess I'm behind because I still haven't started reading longer books to my kids, mainly because M. is not ready for it, but I need to start for B.'s sake. Very cute post!

Lena said...

Ack! Sarah started reading those books on her own and I had never read them before. She was telling me how mean this girl was and that she didn't really like those books, lol. I didn't think I'd have to screen books for that age group but I guess they start eary. SO I can't say whether I like the stories or not because I just couldn't get past the grammar after we'd JUST done an English lesson.

Rebecca said...

Okay, Miss Popular. I looked at your blog just this morning. No new posts. No comments. Now I come back and you have TWO new posts and already FIVE comments just on this one. Dangit. Tell your friends to call my friends and make them comment! :)

We love Junie B at our house too. But...I don't screen them. And, another shocker, I LOVE the grammer. I love how she words things. It just makes me laugh.

I read most of the first one we got to Kaylee but now she lays in her bed at night reading them. She always has something funny to say the next day about May. That is something I can't take away from her either.

And on top of this already super long comment, it was great seeing you on Saturday. I felt like we needed to have that conversation. Next time you are in town, you'll have to come by.

Sherrie said...

What a creative and wonderful blog!
On a side note: Perhaps if you instruct me on what to edit may I er...read them to my granddaughters? I would love to see the emotion you wrote about.
Love Mom by the beach

Jen said...

I love Junie B. too! My sister-in-law gave me a bunch of books a few years ago and I read them all in one day when I was home sick. Now we have all of them and read them out loud occasionally. (Yup--just me and Alex...we're not very growned up I guess).

I just started reading them to my just-turned-five neighbor. He loves them. He laughs at the bad grammer and corrects her. It's kind of fun for him to figure out what she is doing wrong.

Unknown said...

I do the same thing. I love how wide Avery's eyes get at the things Junie B. does! So fun.
Could definately do without the "stupid"

Anonymous said...

A trained school teacher that wants to censor a book?

Good job!!

Blog Archive