Monday, January 28, 2008

Omniscience and Faith

I got this book the other day and I seriously LOVE it! It is so good! Besides the fact that Neal A. Maxwell is one of the most eloquent writers ever, the take-home-value and insights that can be gained from reading it is endless. The first chapter is all about God's omniscience and omnipotence. I have always thought that I have understood that doctrine, but as I was reading the chapter I realized that I guess I haven't really understood the significance of it. Joseph Smith taught us in his Lectures on Faith, that if we are to increase our faith, we must first understand the attributes of God. I truly believe that now. As I was reading, and for the first time truly understanding, what omniscience really means and why it is so important to understand, I found myself having a paradigm shift, a shift from seeing the trials of my life as sometimes overwhelming to seeing them through eternal eyes, ones that understand that all things are known by God and that if I but turn to Him who knows me and whose Son has felt all my pain and sufferings already, then why should I be found with anything except faith, love, and patience in knowing that all things will be for my good. As I was reading the Gospel Doctrine lesson this last week, I had such an incredible spiritual experience as I realized that the Book of Mormon is proof itself of the omniscience of a loving Heavenly Father. How grateful I am for the plain and precious truths that are found within its pages and that have been restored in these latter days by a prophet. As it testifies and stands along with the Bible as another witness to the world that Jesus is the Christ, it is also evidence that prophecies are fulfilled, God knows and loves all of his children, and that the work of the Lord cannot and will not be stopped.

No comments:

Blog Archive