Friday, January 11, 2008

An Epidemic

I don't know what happened to me but the longer I'm a stay-at-home mom, the more my life is becoming consumed with crafts. As a youth or newlywed, I could have cared less about sewing, ribbons, stickers, or 2 huge cases full of patterned and plain 12x12 paper. But these days, I find such fulfillment with those very things. It really is an odd thing. In fact, this consuming epidemic has not only hit me but also my friends and sisters. Apparently, it is contagious, even to the most unlikey cases, such as my sister, Andrea. If you would've told me 10 years ago that someday my oldest sister would have more ribbon, stickers, stamps, and paper than I could ever imagine AND have her own business selling what she makes, I seriously would've fallen over laughing. Something just happens. So for all of you who have not yet been hit with the craft bug......WATCH OUT!!

Yesterday as I was doing "school time" with Katelund, preparing her for Kindergarten in the fall, I came up with an idea. I had saved this tin can from Christmas because I had wanted to do something crafty with it. Anyways, I decided to have Katelund write all of her letters on circles I'd cut out, then I glued them to the vase filler pebbles and put them in the tin. Of course we had to decorate the "ABC Jar" with ribbon, stickers, paper, and silk flowers. Katelund is so excited about it. I thought it turned out pretty good; it looks cute and it's an educational tool. :)

I had the Young Women bring 20 7X7 squares of fabric that depicted them the best. Now I am sewing it all together to make a big blanket that we're giving to the YW president as a gift and also we're using it in our New Beginnings to demonstrate how our hearts can be "knit together in unity and love" (scripture quote) as we share and live the values. Just as the white thread turns the individual squares into a blanket, the values can unify them and bring them together in love.
This is what my kitchen table looks like today. I guess we won't be eating at the table. I am really just trying to hint at Cory that he needs to buy me a craft table like Amber and Andrea have. :)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

that's too cute! so what kind of table do they have? i'm in the market myself for a craft table. we havent eaten in our dining room in about a week now. let me know if you do get a table i need advice.

Amber said...

It's crazy, isn't it?? I never thought I would be as addicted to scrapping as I am. It's fun. I love that you sew and stuff too. I need to get into that. Good for you!

becky said...

I love the idea of the white threat being our values that tie us together.

Rebecca said...

I totally understand your need to craft. I just feel like I don't fit in enough of it. I think that is why I like photography so much...it isn't messy and I can always take it with me! But someday when all my kids are in school, I will again take up everything I have been missing!

Jen said...

I love Katelund's jar! If those stones survive the next few years--they will be a great keepsake!

My mom gave me some of my old writings from when I was pre-k. Apparently I confused my J's and L's for a long long time.

Now my family calls me Lenny!

Andrea said...

Seriously. It's ridiculous. Someone should warn people about this. You get married, have kids, and suddenly you find unexplainable joy from paper, ribbon, and a sewing machine. It's just wierd!

Blog Archive