Monday, January 07, 2008

New Years' Resolutions

So in following my own blogging tradition, I decided that I really need to write a post about the resolutions that I have made for '08.

A couple of weeks ago I was released from the Primary Presidency and I was given a new calling as 1st counselor in YW. I am really excited about this new calling for many reasons. Obviously I am excited about working with the girls, but another reason is because now I get to go to Gospel Doctrine. Not only do we have an incredible Gospel Doctrine teacher....but we are also studying the Book of Mormon this year. Yesterday as we were discussing the need for the 8 witnesses and their testimonies, we were talking about how as we read the book we are able to add our own testimony and witness that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ, and that it is not to replace or contradict the Bible, but to be a companion to it, another witness of Jesus Christ and the way that a life and heart can change when they follow Him. Then the teacher asked us how the Book of Mormon has effected us individually. Gladys Knight (she has a house in our ward and she usually visits during the holidays) raised her hand and talked about how ever since she became a member, about 10 years ago, she has become more boisterous because she is just so excited about the gospel and the Book of Mormon and she wants to tell everyone about it. As I sat there listening, I was thinking about how the Book of Mormon has effected my life and my family's life. I came home feeling many emotions, which led me to one of my New Years' Resolutions which is to not only read the Book of Mormon as a family and individually each day, but to also TEACH it to my children and show them how excited I am about it and about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. As I look back over the last year, I realize that as a family we read the scriptures together almost everyday of the year, but I'm not sure how much we got out of it. I get so much out of it when I read individually, but it has become something we do out of routine as a family rather than something that we love to do together. So, anyways, sorry that took me so long to say, but that is my New Years' Resolution....along with losing weight for the cruise in June and being a better mother, wife, and sister.

So here's to a great 2008!!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

gladys knight? why does that name sound familiar to me. so more info on this cruise. that sounds like a blast!

Melissa said...

Gladys Knight is a singer. My parents are taking my family and my sister's family and my youngest sister and her fiance (they'll be married right before the cruise) on a cruise in June. We are SO EXCITED!!

Lisa said...

Wow! That sounds like so much fun! A big family vacation of sorts, I bet the kiddos will love it. And congrats to Katie, how exciting! So I guess this means you will be in Texas this summer? Looks like we have to make some plans!

Beth said...

Sounds like a great resolution! I'm jealous, the cruise sounds like a fun family reunion/ family get-away:-)

Blog Archive