Saturday, June 02, 2007

WE DID IT!!!



Yesterday evening, Cory and I raced our first 5k together. It was so much more fun to race with him than it was when I did my first race by myself. We had such a great time!!!! It was actually down pouring about 1/2 an hour before the race. It was drizzling during the first part of our run and then it stopped, but it did leave a cold front and overcast skies (perfect for running). Since 3/4 of the race was uphill, Cory and I knew that we would have to pace ourselves, especially at the beginning. It is very easy to get on an adrenalin rush at the beginning and go at full speed too early (there is just something incredible about having the whistle blow and all the people running in this big group with friends and family on the side cheering everyone on).

During the first HUGE "hill" (I think it should be called Death Mountain), I almost stopped to walk for a couple of seconds near the top, but Cory turned around, motioned me on, and said, "Come on, keep running with me, you can do it". So I kept going. As we were getting close to the half way, Cory wanted to take a walk break, but I encouraged him along just as he had done previously for me. It continued on like this for almost all of the race. It is funny how at times that I was weak, he was strong, and vice versa.

It just seems so symbolic to me of marriage. There have been times in our marriage when Cory had to take the lead and encourage me onward and there have been other times where I had to be the leader. Sometimes we have even had to slow down and wait for the other to catch up a little, but it is all part of "running" the race as a pair. We did endure to the end, and together we finished the race under 28 minutes (we met our goal). Hopefully, someday when we finish the "race" of life together, we will have endured to the end and triumphantly reached our goals of an eternal nature.

Since we were running as members of the Chamber of Commerce, we had to run in teams. Our team, the CBL team, consisted of Jeff (the general manager), Cory, Robyn (the marketing director), and me (they needed another runner). Jeff finished first and then Cory and I came in right after him. Robyn finished the race at 38 minutes. We were all waiting for her to round the last bend and when she did we were all cheering her on and then Cory said, "Come on everyone, we need to run with Robyn and finish this race as a team." So we all ran the last 1/4 of a mile with Robyn and crossed the finish line together. It was such a great memory, one that I will never forget.

7 comments:

Sherrie said...

Melissa, I am so proud of both you and Cory for running ( and especially completing this race together) Who would have thunk it?

We knew you guys would do it after having your drive over from Ashville for Hollis' funeral and arriving after 10:00PM getting your stuff out of the car and you and Cory taking off to get your run in for the day. I told Sherrie then how impressed I was at the determination and commitment that you two had.

You comparison about helping each other along in life and more importantly toward your goal of eternal life is so profound and reflective of the way the lord's plan should take part in our lives. Unfortunately, the world teaches us that life is all about me and not about us, and that it is OK to leave our spouses and even families behind at times to pursue our own ambitions and even dreams. However, this never leads to true joy, as the Lord has promised us, if we follow His plan.

I am really jealous that we were not with you guys for the fun time you had at on Memorial Day. I am not sure if it was the fun day at the river (well the snake line rules this one out) and barbequing or the wonderfully scrumptious looking ice cream cones my beatiful grand daughters are eating that appealed so much to me!!!

Thank you so much for keeping us up to date and informed on what is going on in your family's life. We love you so much and give thanks to heavenly father daily for the blessing of having such a wonderful daughter in our family.

Give my beautiful grand daughters a hug and a kiss from Grandpa Mann. (and of couse you could bite their toes for me just so they wont forget me!!!

Love Dad

Katie Bear said...

that's so awesome! congrats on meeting your goal, and thank you for the motivation.

Katie Bear said...

oh, and about So You Think You Can Dance...I missed the first two epidsodes, but I'm going to get Dad to set Tivo to record the season so I won't miss it again! I'm can't wait to see it!!!

Sherrie said...

So dad totally stole the computer this morning as I asked him if he wanted to look at the pictures. The minute he started reading I knew my comments would have to wait. And so here am I! I am so proud of you, so proud of you, we hope that you are proud of you to!
The both of you.
Did I tell you that I LOVE my grandaughters? As well as the both of you? Thanks for your wonderful insight about the race of life (our girls camp theme). I can hardly wait to fit it into camp someway.

Thank you Love mommy by the beach

Andrea said...

Congrats to you both. That is AWESOME. You are an inspiration!

Jenna said...

Thats so awesome!

Austyn said...

Melissa! I am so proud of you guys. I am completely jealous that you ran a race with your husband. I used to picture me doing that, but I dont think I will ever twist Dustin's arm long enough. Your pics are so cute, and your time is awesome! What a fit couple. I sure miss you guys!

Austyn

Blog Archive