Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Fireflies

Yesterday evening I was feeling so tense and irritable (partially because it's that time of month) so I decided to go for a run. I was thinking about my long week of 2 days.....it started Monday after Katelund colored all over the wall, fought with Cloey all day long, and then while we were having ice cream cones at McDonalds for family night, Katelund pooped all in her pants (it was EVERYWHERE!!). Yesterday, I woke up with a horrible stomach ache. I started babysitting at about 10 am for the Hobson kids. By about 10:30 am, the 5 kids had destroyed the house. The kids fought almost the entire day (even at the swimming pool) and then for lunch I had to make every possible version of pb and jelly sandwhiches(the Hobson kids are picky eaters) , only to hear the older boy complaining the whole time about not liking sandwiches or the chips I gave them. The oven almost burst into flames while cooking dinner (which turned out to be a flop), then we went and looked at 3 different possibilites for houses; they were all horrible, and then when we got home, Cory said to me, "I wish the house was clean".

So...I went running. On my way home I was feeling so much better. I stopped to pray for some peace and serenity, and then as I was getting up, something caught my eye. I looked up at the huge trees on the side of the road. There were fireflies everywhere. The trees looked as if they had flashing Christmas lights all throughout them. It was the most beautiful thing ever!! It looked magical. For some reason, little things like that seem to be exactly what I need to put things into perspective and realize that the hard times are what make the good times so wonderful . In order for us to have joy in this life, we must experience the bitter in order to recognize and appreciate the sweet, and oh how sweet were those fireflies! :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I hope you had a better day today!

Nicole said...

Oh my gosh, I don't think anything else could go wrong. I am so glad that you can see the fireflies in all of that. You are so positive and you are right it is those expeirences that make us stonger and appreciate life just a little bit more. Hang in there!

Blog Archive