Friday, April 07, 2006

The last three days I have spent substitute teaching in pre-kindergarten in order to pay for my plane ticket to Texas for Katie's graduation and Shanna's wedding. What a three days it has been. It is always an adventure in pre-k. I had so much fun teaching and I even tossed the lesson plans that the teacher gave me and did my own (she said I could change whatever I wanted to). Today we dyed eggs, did a alphabet easter egg hunt, a candy easter egg hunt, and wrote imaginary stories (that I illustrated for them) about the egg that they colored and got to take home. We also make reeses pieces carrots (they were so cute), did the chicken dance, sang tons of songs, acted out a play, and made a "we miss you" book for one of the students that has been out because his mom just died from cancer. We had so much fun! I love to teach so much!! Today I had the principal come down to ask me again if I wanted to teach next year at her school. I told her that I would love to be a teacher full-time but I love my children even more and I don't want to miss out on any part of their life. It did make me feel good though, especially when I had a parent come and tell me at the end of the day today how wonderful of a job he thought I did and how he thinks I should just finish up the year. He said that him and some other parents went and told the office what they thought about me. It was really sweet. There was also another teacher in pre-k who came and told me that she heard quite a few people who had seen me with the kids over the last couple of days who have made quite a fuss about what a good job I've done. Then today when I got home and Grandma told me about how Cloey had laughed so hard when she was dancing with her, I started crying because I realized right then and there that all though I love to teach, there is nothing more rewarding as being a full-time mommy. I am so grateful for a mother who taught me through her example that being a mom is the most influential, effective, and incredibly important career there is.

3 comments:

Katie Bear said...

That's so awesome Melissa. I bet you're an amazing teacher. If I ever somehow get the chance, I would love to see you teach. I am helping out in Primary during 2nd hour, filling in for the secretary, and I have found that I love just watching the leaders teach the kids. I don't know why, but it just hits the right spot. They amaze me how well they are able to handle and teach the kids. You have been an inspiration to me to want to teach. Hearing her excitement and experiences has made me want to be a teacher. That's why i want to do that double major in elementary ed and elementary music ed.

becky said...

Your blog made me cry!!! That is cool that you are getting so much attention about your teaching what a great compliment. When you cried about Cloey laughing with grandma and then you crying, I cried too. I don't know why, it was just tender. You are a sweet mom and a sweet daughter. I saw airfares down to $163.00 on my best fare tracker. Let's hurry and grab a good fare. Love you. Mom

Andrea said...

I am so glad you got a chance to go and teach. I know that you are an amazing teacher... and that it makes you feel good. (And all that praise couldn't hurt!)

And even though I know it was hard for you to be away from your girls... you came back a better mom.

And you just do whatever it is you need to do to get down here next month! :) I cannot wait to see you... and Cloey. I wish Katelund (and Cory, I guess :) were coming also. But I am so excited to spend time with you!

Blog Archive