Sunday, April 12, 2009

An Easter to Remember...




Back in the fall, I had a really good friend give me a gift to remember Clairisa...tulip bulbs. As she gave them to me she told me to look for the symbolism in them (something that I seem to do quite often with anything and everything) Anyways, she came over and helped me to plant them. As we planted them we talked about the amazing symbolism that is found in my favorite flower. The symbolism of resurrection. You have to bury the bulbs in the fall and then they lay dormant under the ground for the cold winter season. In the spring, the bud begins to form and rise.

When spring finally arrived this year, my neighbor's tullips began to rise and mine did not. I was so upset. I was afraid that they weren't going to rise at all. For whatever reason, it was really important to me that these tulips rose. My friend, my neighbor, and I all began to pray. The morning that I discovered they had finally broke through the earth, I cried. I cried for joy because I knew that God had heard my prayers once again. I cried for the peace that washed over me as the spirit bore witness to me that just as these tulips rose, so would my sweet baby girl. Everyday as I looked out my window and each time I walked outside, I took a moment to say a silent prayer of gratitude for the matchless gift of Jesus Christ and the divine gift he gave to us in breaking the bonds of death. The tulips were breathtaking. They were the most beautiful flowers I have ever seen in my life. Not only because they were huge and perfect, but also because they bore witness to me that all of the earth and everything on the earth testifies of Jesus Christ and his atoning sacrifice.

On Friday, I had to leave my tulips. I had to leave the resting spot of my little baby girl and drive away. It was incredibly hard. I cut off about half a dozen tulips and we took them to Clairisa's grave. As I drove away with tears running down my cheeks, I once again was reminded of the reason for Easter. The reason that I get up each and every day with a brightness of hope and reassuring faith in knowing that this life is but a small grain of sand amongst the beach of eternity.

I know that my Redeemer lives. I know that because He lives, we can all become alive in Christ and recieve the greatest gift of all.

Happy Easter....for truly the message of Easter should bring the greatest joy known to man.

7 comments:

Anica said...

That was beautiful. I love hearing your beautiful testimony. I too am so grateful for the Savior's atoning sacrifice and His resurrection.

Amber said...

Mel,

Thanks for that sweet and moving post. I love that your friend did that. What an amazingly thoughtful gift of love and self as she planted them with you.

I think you are one of the bravest people I know, for so many reasons. I can't imagine what it must have been like to leave the place of your last earthly moments with our sweet Clairisa. I know it's easier to say but I have to just remind myself that she's not in Asheville anymore. She's not there. And aren't we eternally grateful that she's not? I know, as an Aunt, I am. She's in our hearts, our spirits, our forever. She's with our Savior. Thanks be to Him on high.

I love you.

Deana said...

I am so grateful for your sweet yet strong spirit. Thank you for posting this special message. I pray that your new home will bring wondeful friends and special memories to fill your family's life. Where ever you go Melissa, you touch someone's life. You have a wonderful talent of making others fell special. Thank you for your friendship.

Jenny P. said...

So glad I got to really know you before you moved. You are SUCH an example to me.

Love you dearly, and loved this post. :)

Crystal said...

What a great reminder of the true meaning of Eater and now I want my own tulips growing in my yard! I will have to remember to plant them this fall. It would be such a great teaching tool for my kids! I hope that the move goes well for you all!

MANDY said...

There are not many people who can express themselves as well as you do.....and can touch the hearts of so many others through your sweet testimony and faith. I LOVED this post, Melissa! I love you and think of you often! I hope Tennessee is kind to you. :)

Marian said...

I may have to go dig up those bulbs and mail them to you!....thanks for making me cry!

Blog Archive