Wednesday, May 02, 2007

"The Mormons"

After finishing the two-night series on "the Mormons", I am finding myself with many mixed feelings about how our religion was portrayed. I was pretty upset after Monday's nights presentation because I felt like they totally disgraced Joseph Smith. I was so offended by the way that they talked about polygamy being a way to fulfill sexual desires. I know that it is a hard principle to understand, in fact, the way that our society is today makes it almost impossible to look at polygamy without perversion. I don't know all of the reasons why it was asked of the early Saints or why it is a celestial principle, but I do know that I know Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Beloved Son Jesus Christ. I know that they gave him the intructions and revelations that he needed in order to restore Christ's church upon the earth once again. Knowing those things makes the need for me to fully understand polygamy irrelevant and unimportant.

Last night I felt like they did a much better job as far as being more accurate, but I still felt that they crossed the lines when they talked about the "secrets" of the temple. I feel so sad for the lady who talked about such a sacred ceremony with such irreverance and disdain. I also felt so sad for her when she talked about her excommunication. As she talked about her everlasting salvation being destroyed, I thought to myself; she must have never really understood the gospel of Jesus Christ. She must have not understood what the Atonement is all about and what it means to experience the incredible process of repentance.

Their may be some who struggle with the things that were presented on the series, but I was strengthened because I know that I belong to Christ's church and I know that we are led by God's prophet today and that the church has been directed by Christ himself ever since the Restoration of the gospel in these latter days. It does not matter what others may perceive as unfair, strange, and/or confusing, I do not need every point of every doctrine perfectly explained in order to believe it because I know that the Holy Ghost has born witness to me over and over again of the truthfulness of the gospel and of the Book of Mormon. There is no greater witness than that.

3 comments:

Matthew and Shanna said...

Hey Melissa! Its good to hear from you! I am so glad that you are a blogger! Now we can better keep in touch. Your little girls are so cute!

Matthew and Shanna said...

I also watched "The Mormons" and had very similar feelings as you about the broadcast.

Sherrie said...

Melissa,
Thank you for your testimony of the truthfulness of Christ's Church. I too, know it to be true. Though others may struggle to see the truth; those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, will hear, with clarity and a resounding knoweldege that there is something to this "mormon faith" Time is test of all things and thus far we have withstood the test. The broadcast will not change that but rather, bring it about more abuntantly.
Love Mom, by the beach.

Blog Archive