Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Do I know Him?

I had an epiphany today as I was reading my scriptures. For my personal scripture study, I am reading the New Testament. I have had an incredible experience reading and learning more about the life and ministry of the Savior. But, as I was reading to day my thoughts went back to a conversation that I had last week with the little girl that I was babysitting, Brianna.

Everytime she was over she always asked me what I was reading when I was reading my scriptures. On one of these occassions , she said, "Why do you always read about Jesus?" And I said, "Because I want to learn about Him." She then said, "I don't know Jesus." I said, "Well do you want me to tell you about Him." She said, "No, I just don't know Him." I said, "Well He knows you and I know that He loves you.". She smiled and walked away. Later that night when we were having family prayer, she wanted to say the prayer so she could talk to Jesus.

It was a really cute experience, but it has also really made me think. As much as I learn about Christ's life and ministry, it doesn't really mean a whole lot unless I come to get to know Him, to really know who He is and what His purpose and mission was and is all about. One of my favorite scriptures says, ..."and when that day comes (referring to the day when we see the Savior face to face) we shall know Him, because we shall be like Him.

I love the New Testament because it teaches me about Christ's life and teachings, but I love the Book of Mormon even more because I come to know who He is and I learn how I can be like Him through the incredible examples of Nephite and Lamanite prophets and leaders. These books truly do go hand in hand. Without one of these books (the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, and the Bible) I would not feel complete and I don't think that I would ever figure out how to be like Him so that one day when I see him face to face, I too will know who He is.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

That is such a great story. Was the little girl a member?

Melissa said...

No, she was not, but I think her family is going to come to church with us sometime.

Blog Archive