Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Things that I have learned/realized lately...

* I parent with a lot of emotion...for good and bad. I have been reading a book called "Christlike Parenting" (it is seriously the best parenting book that I have ever read...I highly recommend it).

*Cory and I decided to get rid of our cable awhile ago. We have been without it for about 2 months now. It has been amazing!!! Every once in a while we watch a show on the internet but other than that we just spend a lot of time together as a family and also a lot of time reading (luckily everyone in our family L.O.V.E.S to read or be read to.) Cory and I will lay in bed at night reading our own books. I don't know why, but we both love spending that time together. Although it probably drives him crazy b/c I do a lot of laughing, gasping, crying, etc. when I read).

* I really can organize. I have been praying and studying a lot about how to be more organized. I feel like I am starting to make some progress.

*Purging feels so good. I am trying to declutter my house. It is very liberating to get rid of stuff.

*I am in LOVE with the BYU podcasts of the round table scripture discussions!! I seriously could listen to them all day. I have been listening to the Doctrine and Covenants sessions lately. I have learned SO MUCH!!

* Even though I am not a little girl anymore, I still get giddy. Cory makes me giddy, romantic movies make me giddy and thinking about my trip to Vegas at the end of this month to hang out with one of my very best friends/sister-in-law, Amber,...is definitely making me giddy. :)

9 comments:

Lew said...

I am totally reading "Christlike Parenting" right now! I love it too! I enjoy purging clutter as well...feels so great!

erin sheely said...

That's awesome Melissa! It's sooo good to figure out what makes you and your family work.

MANDY said...

Have fun in Vegas! I need some good parenting books...I find myself being the mom i don't want to be some days. Figuring out a sometimes defiant child is difficult. TV is our vice....could we give it up? IDK...maybe we should try it.

Rebecca said...

More power to your no TV watchin' self! And when your house gets all decluttered, please come here!

Amber said...

so impressed with your choice to get rid of satellite. i don't know if i could do it. good for you!! I'm hoping that my house can be organized before you get here. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GIDDY!!!

Tricia said...

I love that you are getting a wonderful vacation. I can imagine you giddy girls talking and talking and having a blast. Yeah! I REALLY need to work on the home organization front. *sigh*

Jenny P. said...

One of the best things I ever did was can expensive satellite... we still get some programming, cause I didn't want to lose BYUTV... but it's all family programming. Or so they say... still some stuff I wouldn't let my kids watch for anything. At any rate, it's eliminated a lot of pointless channel surfing...

I'm totally gonna read the book. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

InkMom said...

I still get giddy, too. But over weird things, like a trip to The Fresh Market, or a good bra. Or my first glimpse of the mountains when I've been away for a while. And also CPod. Always, always, CPod.

Lena said...

We love to lay in bed and read books too and I giggle and gasp and cry at my books too. I love it! I seriously think about getting rid of cable but Grandma enjoys her TV and I would hate to lose the BYU channel too. Still dedbating it though.

Blog Archive