Sunday, February 08, 2009

The Cure-All

Yesterday I went on a youth temple trip. It was absolutely perfect, amazing, wonderful, and exactly what I needed. It is the ultimate cure-all for everything. I remember going to the temple for the first time after losing Clairisa. There in the walls of the Columbia, S. Carolina temple, I experienced the overwhelming feeling of joy that had been absent from my life for so many weeks. After going through another hard trial the previous year, I was able to find the healing and strength to endure within those very same walls.

As a youth, I would pray to feel my brother, Kelly's, spirit whenever I would go to the temple. As a 28 year old mother, I now pray to feel the presence of not only my brother, but also my daughter. Yesterday, after witnessing such an incredible experience with one of my very dear friends who came with her husband for the very first time to the temple, I sat in the waiting room with my young women just soaking in all of the peace and joy that is so abundantly present. My thoughts turned towards my perfect daughter. I sat there thinking about her and the brief, yet sustaining, time that I held her in my arms. I felt my emotions welling up inside of me. In that very moment, one of the young women started to quitely hum a hymn...."God Be With You Till We Meet Again". The hymn that Cory and I sang to Clairisa before we had to kiss her good-bye for the very last time in mortality. Her humming was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. It was as if my angel daughter was standing in the room humming to me the only lullaby I ever got to sing to her. It was amazing. It is hard to even put into words. I have no idea why Amy chose to hum that particular song at that particular moment, but I do know that through her, the Lord showed me yet another tender mercy.

I LOVE to see the temple, I LOVE to enter the temple, and I LOVE to feel the presence of the Lord and the presence of his angels (and my angel) each time I enter within the walls of the Lord's house...the holy temple...the ultimate cure-all.

11 comments:

Sherrie said...

Ever present is his abiding love. How in tune Amy must have been to hear the promptings of the spirit. What a beautiful and miraculous lullaby from Heaven.
Love. Mom

Melissa said...

I felt the spirit so strongly as I read your sweet post. I am so happy that you were able to have such a wonderful & sweet time at the temple, and especially for a sweet young woman who was intune with the spirit. Thanks for sharing the sweet & tender feelings of your heart. Love ya!

janae said...

What a special experience Melissa. Thanks for sharing.---janae

Jenny P. said...

I'm so glad you shared. :) What a wonderful, special experience...

I'm really excited about this month because I've got a day planned to go the temple with Josh,and I get to take the youth down for a temple trip... I love excuses to go to the temple twice in just a couple of week's time! :) (Not that we actually need an excuse... but you know, kids, distance... all that other stuff)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful experience Melissa. I also felt the spirit as I was reading this.
Yesterday I had sharing time in primary and the lesson was on how Heavenly Father blesses righteous families in the scriptures. I think your experience is yet another testimony that Heavenly Father continues to bless the righteous. What a sweet miracle to have a place in this life that you can go and still feel a closeness with those you love although they are not here.

MANDY said...

How amazing, Melissa! I keep being reminded by you of how Heavenly Father blesses you with love and peace and gifts that reflect his closeness to us. I was just thinking today that I wish I'd kept a journal during my most trying times because then I could better remember now the different instances when I felt those miraculous gifts from above. Your blog can be that for you. I love you!

All Fun Family said...

What a beautiful experience. Thanks for sharing. I find it so incredible that in such a time of grief and sorrow, the Lord constantly reaches out to you with love and healing.

Amber said...

Mel,

What a beautiful and amazing experience. I am so grateful that the Lord allowed you this great blessing. I think of you so often and your strength is such an example to me.

Less than 3 weeks!!

Carrie said...

You are awesome Melissa! I am glad we are friends and I hope we always will be! I am hoping to go to the Temple in the next couple of weeks... I need it! Want to go with me?

Ashlie said...

Mel, I got goosepumps reading this. You are not only an amazing writer but an amazing person. I love reading about your experiences because after I do I always feel so good. You are one of the strongest people I know. I hope one day I can be as strong and in tune with the spirit. You're incrediable.

Tricia said...

Melissa,
Again, I am touched by your testimony and experiences. The Spirit truly is a comforter and this example brought tears to my eyes.

Blog Archive