Friday, February 06, 2009

Unity

One of my favorite things about my church, is the unity that is found among the sisters (the women) in the ward. I love being part of Relief Society and I love to know that no matter what happens in my life or where I go, that I have a group of friends who will carry me and love me through the difficult times. I have felt of the love and charity that comes from a group of women who serve, strengthen, uplift, and love one another. I truly feel that the unity and Christlike love and service that comes from being a member of Relief Society is one of the greatest blessings and gifts in my life. I have been in some wards where I have felt the unity very strongly and I have been in other wards where it is a little weaker, but I have found that the unity and love is always there and available for those who seek it.

I went to two activities this week where I was around some of the other sisters in my ward. I LOVE the sisters in my ward, but for some reason this week I felt some distance. I felt lonely. I felt like I wasn't connecting with them for some reason. I know that it probably has nothing to do with anybody but myself. But, I just don't understand why I feel that way sometimes. Is it just my own insecurities? Is it my pride? Is it a lack of charity and love? I long for that sense of unity but for some reason, lately, it has not been there. Has anybody ever felt this way?

7 comments:

The Gibson Clan Of 7 said...

I feel that way all the time... I know that I have not been to all the meetings at church.. But now I'm in the nursery for the first hour and now I go to all my meetings we'll except sunday school but I have a good reason..... I guess cause also I'm very shy you probably are like what??/ We'll it's true.....

Melissa said...

I feel that way a lot! :) Personally, I think it's my own insecurities, and I think I care too much of what people think of me. I think too many times I focus on myself & my wants rather than what I can do for others. And sometimes it's just a bad day or week where you don't feel like you connect with anyone, but there's always tomorrow. :) (Maybe everyone feels this way)but anyway
I am so excited you get to go to the temple! What a huge blessing! Will you be able to do a session? I hope you have a wonderful time! love ya

Jenny P. said...

I've felt that way before... can't imagine anyone not thinking you are lovely and wonderful in every possible way. Surely distance wasn't created on purpose. My calling, which is also your calling is a lot of why I sometimes feel distance. And a lot of the time it's my own doing... because I put so much time and energy in to activities with young women, I don't necessarily feel like I have a lot to give when I go to Relief Society... and sometimes I don't hear of htings as quickly as I should... I don't know. A time and a season for all things, I guess.. I'm sure it will pass though. Because you're wonderful, and everyone loves you. :)

Sherrie said...

I am sorry that you feel that way, I sure would love any suggestions on how to help others that obviously feel that way.
Love Mom

Lindsey said...

Hey Mel! I totally know how you feel! I have this feeling all the time in Relief Society and I hate it. I know it is probably my own doing, but like you said it is just so hard to connect/relate to people sometimes. Move back to Texas so we can be in Relief Society together! :)

MANDY said...

Yes! I have felt this way when I try to interact, and I think there is a reality to it. It's not all you, and it's not all them. That's what I tell myself.....we were spoiled in HM2. People were really good about caring for one another, and not gossiping and backbiting, and there were lots of people near our age and life situation. When we serve outside of RS, we sometimes get left out of things, too. Announcements are not passed on, invitations are forgotten, and like your friend Mommy J said...we have less to give to RS when we're giving so much in other ways. I'm sorry you are struggling with this right now. I know how you feel! I'm having to try and build a social life without church friends, and I haven't done that since high school.

Tricia said...

I was a single parent during my 20's in the church and I felt distanced from a lot by people who were my own age or a little older. Then I moved into a ward where there were a lot of older couples (they could have been my parents) and some just younger than that. They took me under their wings and loved me. We didn't socialize much outside of Sunday meetings but they always made a point to talk and visit with me during church. I knew they loved me. That was enough to sustain me during the week. I will forever remain grateful to them.

Currently, I feel distanced from other sisters when I am not feeling my best internally. It might be that I am having a difficult time with something, or just in a blue mood. This is when I don't feel able to reach out to others like I want to. This helps me to be aware that someone else too, might be having a similar conflict within or that I just need to set my "stuff" aside and focus on someone else the best I can for the meeting/activity.

Thank you for sharing, Melissa.

Blog Archive