Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's Day Weekend

Thanks to all of you who have responded and sent me your email addresses so that I can include you in my reader's list when I go private tomorrow. It is so awesome to see some of the people who read my blog that I didn't even know because now I have new blogs to check out and more friends to make. :) If you haven't emailed me yet, please do it today because I really don't want to leave anyone out who wants to be included. Anyways...

This last weeknd, Cory and the girls took me to Myrtle Beach for Mother's Day weekend. We met Cory's parent's there as well. We were also "celebrating" their first weekend as Empty Nesters. We had such a great time!! I couldn't believe how brave Katelund and Cloey were. I was scared to death!!! There were jellyfish all over (okay, we really only saw two...but still...). Apparently, they were the kind that don't sting but I was still too nervous to get to far into the water. At least until Cory and the girls decided to splash me and push me into the deeper water.






We left on Friday around 5 pm after Cory got home. Earlier in the day, I was really debating about calling off the whole trip because I was just having such a hard time getting excited about spending time at a beach in a maternity swimsuit that still doesn't look right (but it does look a lot better than me trying to squeeze into my normal swimsuit). I was just feeling so fat and depressed about how I am looking these days. I know that I have gone through it in some degree with every baby, but for some reason I am really struggling with this third time around. I feel like I am not only expanding in my belly but everywhere else too!!! It is making me crazy!! Before I officially called the whole trip off, I called my mom and cried to her about how horrible I was feeling about myself. In true incredible mother fashion, she validated how I felt with her own feelings when she was pregnant with her third and then she went on to tell me how she feels when she sees girls who are pregnant now that she is past that stage. She told me how happy she feels for them and even though it is difficult at the time, it really is one of the best parts about being a woman and mother. I can't even write to you all that she said because it was just perfect and exactly what I needed to hear. In fact, on Mother's Day as I reflected upon the incredible mothers in my life, all I could hear in my head was my own mother as she once again comforted me and made all of my fears and worries disappear.

I feel so incredibly honored, humbled, and blessed to have the title Mother. I know that it is a sacred and noble calling and I feel so inadequate in so many ways as I daily try to fill such an important role in my children's life. Luckily, children are very forgiving and know how to love unconditionally. I am so grateful for my little girls and for how they are constantly teaching me how to be a mommy. In fact, just yesterday Katelund was giving me such an attitude and so I told her to go to her room and calm down (really so that I could calm down). I said to Cloey, "What are we going to do with your sister?" She gave me a big smile, shrugged her shoulders, and said, "Just love her Mommy". Immediately all my frustrations disappeared and all I could feel was an overwhelming amount of gratitude and love for the little angels in my life.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

that looks like so much fun! your girls are adorable in their pink suits. question: do your girls swim around or are they terrified of the water? melissa will not swim in a pool with us at all, she practically bursts into tears when we try. so, maternity suit does that mean you're showing? lets see some cute belly bump shots!

Lena said...

Both mothers and kids seem to know what to say at the perfect moments don't they? I do think the third child was a whole new ballgame for me. A crazy adventure, but fun too.

Andrea said...

I'm with Lisa. Where are the belly shots? If I'm going to be living vicariously through you, I think I deserve some belly shots. Come on!

Happy Mother's Day. Love ya.

(And Kate's hair looks cute.)

MANDY said...

Thanks for sharing, Melissa....I, too, would like to validate you. Just remember how beautiful you are, especially when pregnant because of the miracle you're carrying out. And, congrats on the wonderful Mother's Day weekend trip. We love Myrtle Beach, and Bethany wants to go so bad, but it probably won't happen this year.

Sherrie said...

Okay I loved the thoughts and MOST of the pictures, did you pick the worst one of me looking ever so mean on pupose or was that the best of the worst? Or is it because Cory is lookin good? Dad and I had a wondeful time, I am sure glad you didn't call it off. Thank your mom for me will you? She truly is an amzing woman. Love Mommy by the beach

Blog Archive