Thursday, November 04, 2010

This week's happenings...




1. My sister was robbed!! Someone broke into her house during the day and stole all of their electronics AND her wedding ring (a prong is broken so she hasn't been wearing it). It has seriously freaked me out. Not only have I been worried about her and her family's safety, I have also had to once more face the ugly reality of the world we live in. All though there is MUCH good, there is also a lot of bad...too much bad.

2. My dad's uncle died. My parent drove up to Utah for the funeral yesterday. He was a wonderful man who has been very sick for a long time. I'm sure that he is now having a joyous reunion with two of his children who died from cancer at the ages of 8 and 12. Once again, I feel SO GRATEFUL for the knowledge and testimony that I have of life after death.

3. My parents could very possibly be moving away from Texas. I can't go into details just yet because it is not for sure, but very likely.

4. Cory's brother, Sean, came out to Tennessee for business this week. He drove down and stayed with us on Tuesday and Wednesday night. It was so great to see him. He's such a great uncle. It is also a lot of fun to reminisce and laugh over all the memories that we have from our teenage years together. Cory and I LOVE it when people, especially family, come to visit and stay in our home (yes, that is definitely an invitation).

5. Six years ago, I decided that I wanted to start a tradition with myself in order to make sure that I read the Book of Mormon all the way through at least once a year. So I opened up to the end of the Book of Mormon and put the date that I finished it. I have done this every year since. This time I actually did it a little differently. I got a blue soft cover Book of Mormon and I highlighted every time that it testifies of Jesus Christ and/or the Atonement. It was such an incredible experience! I just don't know how ANYONE could EVER wonder if Mormons are Christians. There was not a page that would go by without me marking something on it about Christ. It literally is another testament of Christ and I understand why more clearly than I ever have. I have such a burning testimony of the Book of Mormon and of the power that comes into my life when I consistently study and read from it. I have many "favorite heroes" from the scriptures. I love reading about the faith of Esther, the courage of Daniel, the love of Jonathon, the devotion of Peter, the humility of Moses, the integrity of Job, the obedience of Nephi, the submissiveness of Alma, and the charity of Ammon, but there are two stories that stand out above all others for me. One is the story of the Anti-Nephi-Lehies, or the people of Ammon. When I read about their faith and their willingness to die rather than break their covenants, I am brought to tears every time. The other person that I love is Mormon. Throughout the entire book (well, except for the small plates) his voice is heard over and over again as he summarizes and recounts the words of the previous prophets. He consistently testifies of Christ and acknowledges the hand of God. He boldly proclaims his faith, hope, and love for not only Christ, but also for the future generations, including us. One of my very favorite versus from him is in Moroni 7:48, "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen."

3 comments:

Lisa said...

we really do live in a scary world. fortunately things can be replaced, people can not. im glad that your sister and her family were gone and not harmed.

MANDY said...

Oh, how sad for your sister. Yay for Sean visiting, and I'm sure it would be really odd for you to have your parents leave TX. It's good to hear about your testimony of the Book of Mormon. You are so right....our whole religion, gospel teachings and beliefs, center on Christ. I feel so blessed to know that, no matter what others think.

Melanie Anne said...

Hi Melissa,
I LOVE your idea of recording when you finish the book of Mormon--It is great idea to be accountable to yourself to make sure you actually get thru it every year! You have inspired me:) See you at Conference this weekend:)

Blog Archive