Friday, September 26, 2008

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

Since Katelund has started school, she has gotten into trouble (her clipped was moved to yellow) four times!!! One time she got in trouble for talking when she wasn't supposed to be, another time when she was hugging a classmate instead of standing quietly in line, another time when she and her friends threw rocks at recess to keep the boys away, and yesterday she spit at a boy b/c he wouldn't leave her alone. What is a mom to do?

As I have thought about these situations, I have realized that there is some positive to be found. I know that sounds weird, but let me explain. I am so grateful that my daughter makes friends so easily and shows affection to them. She can be taught when and when not to talk, but it is a lot more difficult to teach someone how to love. And....hallelujah, I am so glad that my daughter is not afraid to put a boy in his place...okay so maybe not with spitting, but at least she doesn't let people bully her and she's not afraid to do something about it. The whole rock situation....yea there is just not a whole lot of positive to find out of that one...except for the fact that she wants the boys to stay away...I'll support that until she's 20. :)

Although I have found the positive in these situations, she does not know about them and all she knows is that she got in trouble at home each time. In fact, yesterday after school I made her write a letter to tell the boy that she was sorry for spitting at him. I'm not sure if she really meant it, but hopefully she will think twice before she spits at someone again(where did she get that from anyways???).

9 comments:

Lisa said...

what a little stinker! lol! she's just too cute! good luck with that.

MANDY said...

Katelund has a strong spirit, and that IS a good thing. She'll learn how to harness all of those spunky behaviors and I love how you can see the positive side of it all. That's what we do as mothers, right? You know, teacher-to-teacher, the at-home punishment is the key to correcting the at-school misbehaviors. Way to go Mommy Melissa!

Deana said...

Katelund will be just fine. She has a different way to express her feelings. I taught kindergarten for one year. They are so sweet, and innocent. They are also very active. She will learn the rules and by the second nine weeks she will be a pro. I remember Melanie moving her color several times. I took away something important to her and that made her do much better. She did pretty good the rest of the year . Hang in there.

Unknown said...

I think always being able to find the positive is a blessing. Especially in motherhood! I love this post. I was seriously laughing about the rocks and spitting. I'm trying to imagine it and I just can't. Are they talking about your Katelund?

erin sheely said...

Oh parenting woes!! She's so cute. It's so crazy to hear about what your kids do when you're not around to see it. She's awesome and I am so happy that you are finding the good!

Rebecca said...

My kids spit too. Dallin makes the most awful spitting sound without any spit coming out. Ew. Kaylee has had a little trouble at school but only for talking and we pretty much knew that was going to happen.

Staceroo said...

I love how you can find the positive or a lesson to be learned in any situation. The world needs more people like you.

Also, getting in trouble for hugging a friend seems kind of cheap.

Stefi Patterson said...

That's my girl! I mean I am sorry you have to deal with that, but seriously... that is too funny! I love that she threw rocks at them, she is going to be a tough girl for any guy to handle! But I think you are doing an amazing job! I love you so much (Oh yeah, keep praying that she will make it to 20 before she wants boys to be around her!)

Amber said...

ok can i just say what a wonderful mom I think you are for finding the good in those things. i mean obviously you have to address the "behavioral" aspect but I love that you find the strength behind it. seriously, can i just shadow you all the time?

Blog Archive