Monday, September 15, 2008

Reality Check

Saturday night I had to go be a chaperon at a youth 80's themed activity/dance for our stake. It was fun to see all the youth dressed up and having fun, but I'm not gonna lie...it was also a little depressing. As I sat there watching them all of the sudden I had this huge reality check. I realized that it is no longer cool for me to go out on the dance floor and break out with my oh-so-many moves (especially my robot) with all of those teenagers. Although I guess I did go out one time and line dance but only b/c the girls asked me to. I also realized that they were all dressed up in MY DECADE (I was born in 1980)!!! They thought it was so funny to be wearing their jean jackets (you know like the one I still have in my closet) and their big puffy hair (okay so I did let that one die).

As much as I love being a mother and wife, I also miss the days of my youth. The days when I was out on that dance floor with my friends. The days where I was filling up my gas tank at 99 cents/gallon (on Saturday I filled up at $4.75/gallon b/c it was one of the only gas stations in town that had gas left)! The days where my responsibilities consisted of waking up going to seminary and school and then doing my homework. Wow, life was so much simpler back then.

Despite the reality check, I really did have a great time watching them and reminiscing .. AND... I even made a new friend (although she does live an hour away in the mountains of Frankin, NC).

13 comments:

Melissa said...

I miss those days too. Although, something I loved about Sis. Mann was that she got out and danced with us. I think it embarrased Amber a little bit, but I thought it was so funny & sweet that she wanted to be with us. I'm glad you had a fun time. I can't believe how expensive the gas is there... wow!

Staceroo said...

They may think that it's funny to dress like the 80's, but they still wanted to have an 80's dance because 80's music rocks! :) I miss those days too. I still dance around my living room to Milli Vanilli. :)

Lena said...

Ah, the good 'ol days! Yes, I realized that Peter and I are no longer considered one of the "younger" couples. I think it's more because we have a daughter turning 10 next month than our actual ages because some of the "younger" couples are older than us. Oh well. I'm okay with it but yeah, I like to think back to how fun it was to go to EFY and dances and why in the world don't they have adult dances?????

Rebecca said...

I'm glad you had fun at the dance, but we sure missed you here!!

Lisa said...

I just dont understand the gas thing. Why is it so expensive and so many places don't have any? Down here just a few hours from houston/galveston every gas station is working and it's still only 3.53/gal. I don't understand whats going on everywhere else.

Crystal said...

I know just what you mean! Crazy to think that pro football players and basketball players are now younger then I am. I just don't know where the time went. It is so crazy that kids now are sporting the look I had for Decades days.I don't know what happened becasue I don't feel any older.

Jamie said...

Weren't you like in Elementary school in th 80's? You are not getting away with being old yet....Of course you made a new friend, I think that is your thing, I am so glad I met you and we have become friends....

Amber said...

Oh, those were the days...although I think our Decade was more the 90s...Don't date us that much!! I think you can do your robot any place, any time, especially when I'm there. :)

Yes, life was MUCH simpler back then...

erin sheely said...

So true! It's weird thinking back about being single with no kids. Although I never could do the robot so maybe my 80s weren't as cool as yours...but I did peg my jeans. Oh yeah.

Melissa said...

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to date us...I just meant that I was born in 1980.

Jenny P. said...

oh, I can so totally relate! What throws me for a loop is when the young women tell me the years that they were born... a have a beehive... born in 1996. What is up with that!!

It was oh, so fun to meet you. :)

Unknown said...

I miss the double tshirts and then rolling the sleeves so you could see both colors! :P. I'm so glad you and Jenny connected. I was just thinking of you both when I heard she was YW pres. too! Miss you at story time. We'll have to plan something soon!

MANDY said...

Oh, it is a downer to realize that no one from this younger generation can possibly know how "with-it" we really were in our own day....I never could really dance, though. Stacy...you made me laugh just now....thinking about Milli Vanilli. Those young women will remember how awesome you were to be there and dance when they asked.

Blog Archive