Thursday, August 07, 2008

Not Giving Up

Where do I even begin?

Yesterday I pulled up the new post to begin writing again, but I didn't know what to say. I wish I could say that everything is back to normal or that all though last week was the hardest week of my life, that this week has been a whole lot better...but I would be lying to myself and to all of you. Life is not normal and I find myself crying, aching, and hurting most of the day, but I do feel like this week is easier than last week. I am finally ready to talk to friends, answer my phone, and even post an entry on my blog. That's progress, right?

Monday was a really bad day and I was just so down in spirit. I took Katelund to the dentist and found out that she has lots of dental work that needs to be done and then of course we had to sit down next to a woman with her two week old baby girl. I just felt like such a failure as a mother on so many different levels. Two days after the emergency c-section, they told me that I needed to begin to get up and walk. I didn't care what they said. I didn't want to recover, I just wanted to lay in my bed and cry. Cory told me that all though I didn't feel like recovering or getting up out of that bed, that he needed me and our two little girls needed me more than ever. So...reluctantly, I finally began the "recovery" process. On Monday afternoon, I again felt like I just wanted to give up, but I knew that I couldn't I just didn't know how to get back to normal life, and really I just didn't want to.

Later that day, I pulled out my scriptures and began reading about Captain Moroni and how the Lamanites were fighting harder than they ever had and so Captain Moroni rallied up his troops by reminding them what they were fighting for...their families, religion, etc. As I was reading this the Spirit told me that I too was fighting my own battle and that I needed to get up, be strong, and not ever give up because I am fighting for my family. I got on my knees and prayed with "real intent" that the Lord would give me strength and lighten the burden of death which is weighing me down so heavily. While praying, I felt the Lord's love and an amazing amount of comfort, peace, and hope. It was an incredible experience and hard to put into words, but I have literally felt boosted up as if the Lord is carrying me right now. I know that there will be more hard days and moments filled with tears, but I just feel so amazed at the gift of the Atonement and the blessing that is ours to have the gift of the Holy Ghost and the scriptures to give us the inspiration we need, especially at times when all we want to do is give up.

10 comments:

Andrea said...

I think that was the perfect post. Love you.

Lena said...

(((great big squishy hugs)))

Rebecca said...

Words can't express how I ache for you. How I wish I could bring your normal back. I know how hard it was for me to find my "normal" again. We are thinking of you every day. --If you guys come to F'ville, we want to hang out.

Jamie said...

Melissa-You must always know that you did everything possibly that a mother could do to protect her child and can never regret one moment that you stayed in that hospital bed fighting for her. I feel you should shed as many tears as you wish, it is your right, but you must share an unequivical amount more of giggles and smiles to remember what a great mother you are to her and Katelund and Cloey. And for cavities, you know I am very opioinated... but that does not equal bad mothering, at least I hope not, since Tanner has had 3..teeheehee.. I will get you back in to see me just as soon as you are able.....p.s.Thanks for being the first to sign on my blog..It meant alot....

Sherrie said...

Thanks for sharing such hard emotions. It was a wonderful post and I'm so grateful that the Lord is comforting you. Of course, we are praying for you.

When you need to cry, cry; but make sure that if you cry you also find something in the day that makes you laugh and smile. No one can tell you how to grieve or heal and it's so important that you find time to do both of those. You are such a strength and an example to me and I'm constantly amazed by the righteous mother and wife that you are. Miss you!

Sherrie said...

that above post is from amber :)

Allison said...

Melissa, I know I don't know you very well. I met you once at Rioz in Myrtle Beach. Rebecca told me what happened and I wanted to share my sympathies for you and your family. How hard it must be to be asked to bear such an awesome trial. You are in my thoughts and now prayers.

I think John, or was it Amber gave good advice, I would tell you to do the same. Cry when you want to and look for things that do make you smile, remember that Heavenly Father wants you to be happy, so don't let yourself feel guilty for finding joy in your life.

Hang in there, even if its only by your fingertips.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Melissa,
I am a friend of Jamie's. I'm not sure if you remember me, but we met at Amazing Savings - you had your two beautiful girls with you. I cannot get you and your family out of my mind and I cannot imagine the pain you are feeling. I have prayed for you everyday and hope you are finding peace in the fact that your baby girl is up in Heaven and one day you will be reunited. Pour yourself into your family and love your precious girls and your amazing husband. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Nicole said...

I have thought of you every day and am amazed at your strength. Keep asking for help He WILL carry you all the way. Take time to heal. Isn't it wonderful to know our Savior and the love he has for us.

Tara said...

Hi there. You don't know me but I am a friend of Vaughn and Amber's in Las Vegas. I heard about your your little angel and wanted to share with you the blog address of a friend of mine, Michelle. Michelle lost her little boy in an accident about two years ago and she shares her grieving experience and progress through her blog. Her emotions are raw, real and I am sure can relate, better than most, to what you are going through. I hope you are able to find some sort of peace and comfort from her words.

http://krainichfamily.blogspot.com/

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Blog Archive