Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Enduring Well

In my last post, there was a comment by my cousin Jenna that really made me think. She used the phrase "enduring well". I have really been thinking about that this morning. What does it mean to endure the death of my baby well? I feel like I am enduring. I'm reading my scriptures, saying my prayers, taking care of my children, loving my husband, grocery shopping, fixing dinners, doing my church calling, etc... but to me those things are just part of enduring. I think that the ability, or blessing, of being able to endure well comes from the Savior and his ability to comfort, sustain, strengthen, and deliver us.

My sister gave me a book when she was out here that is called Making Sense of Suffering by Wayne R. Brickey. It is such an incredible book! One of the chapters is called "He Delivers". He talks about how throughout the scriptures we are taught over and over how the Lord delivers His people. He says,

"Yes, deliverance implies that we will have trouble. But the promise remains that we will be "supported under trials and troubles of every kind, yea, and in all manner of afflictions" to the degree that we put our trust in God. To be supported means that God will add his power to ours.
In trials--when we are tested for faithfulness- he will protect us from our weaknesses. In troubles--when things are breaking down, falling apart, and going out of control- he will calm us. In afflictions--when we suffer acute pain of mind or body-he will bless us by removing the pain or giving us power to endure it."

I have felt that power many times throughout the last month. Monday was my first day on my own, without my mom here to help me. I turned on my "church music" (that is what Cloey calls it), and I was folding some clothes. As I was thinking about Clairisa and feeling so empty and lonely inside, my thoughts were all of the sudden changed, and for a moment I felt as if I was able to look at this trial through heavenly eyes. For the first time since her death, I was able to feel joy--the joy that comes from knowing that I helped fulfill her purpose of giving her a body and that she is back home. I felt so grateful for the fact that she will not have to experience the troubles and pains that are associated with mortality. She will never have to suffer. My whole purpose as a mother is to raise and train my children in the gospel and to help them "remember" who they are, to know they're divine nature, and to help them discover their purpose here on earth. Clairisa already knows and for that I can not only find joy but I can "endure well" the sorrow and pain that comes from missing her.

12 comments:

Sherrie said...

oh Melissa,
I have found joy through your joy. I am thankful for your ability to put your joy into words and the spirit which attended as I read them.
Love Mom by the beach

Erin said...

Melissa, I have been reading you posts over the last few weeks and I think that you are so strong. I know how you feel about wanting to feel normal. I remember after we lost Breanna I looked at everyone around me when I was out in public and I would think how is everybody around me just going on with their lives and here I am suffering from a broken heart. I just wished they could know how I felt. It took time but the "normal" feeling in my life came back. I promise you will feel "normal" again. It just takes time. Having your calling and having your daughter go to kindergarten are huge blessings. I got called to be the Primary President right after Breanna died and it was such a blessing in mine and my families life. It truly helps to be busy in doing the Lords work. Your testimony and strength has helped me, thank you. You are amazing!

Lisa said...

i just want you to know that i love you!

Lew said...

I totally got chills from your post. You are amazing and I love ya tons!!!

Rebecca said...

Life does go on. Joy in things around you does come. Ephram is now older than Hollis. There is joy in each breath he takes. But I still make sure he is breathing all too often. So, some things remain hard but there is even joy in that. Knowing that I can check on him and that he is still here. And in knowing that Hollis is beautiful and pure. Not with me, where I would put him, but perfected, where his Heavenly Father would have him--and where I can have him again.

Unknown said...

That is so beautifully written, Melissa. I'm always so uplifted by your testimony! You are doing an amazing job as a Mother. Hope you know that.
love, dest

Beth said...

Mel... thank you so much for sharing. What a powerful reminder that we are never left to endure our struggles alone.

Ashlie said...

You are so strong Melissa and I envy your strength. You are always always in my prayers and I am grateful to have you as my friend and as a role model. Always remember to smile!

Deana said...

I have also kept up with your posts. I have always been uplifted by your smile, friendship and testimony. Thank you for your wonderful strength. I asked Heavenly Father to help me know what to post back to you to help you. You are such a beautiful women,mother,wife,leader,example and friend. Your courage and strength are amazing. I love you also.
Deana

The Monkey Mama said...

Hi Melissa-
I linked to your blog from Lena's blog. I think it's been several years now since we've "seen" each other.
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope that you can find the comfort you need in these hard days. We'll be thinking of you.
Much love,
Cortney (and Scott)

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I am glad that you are enduring well. The Lord will continue to support and uplift you, as long as you allow him to. You have a beautiful spirit and an amazing testimony. I feel privileged to be able to know that a person such as yourself exists. You give me hope and uplift me.

MANDY said...

i echo sherrie. you are amazing, what an inspiring and touching post.

Blog Archive