Tuesday, July 03, 2012

A Different Twist on Freedom

This last weekend I got to go on a little get-away trip to Las Vegas. My sister-in-law (who lives there)turned 30 a few weeks ago and so for her birthday present her husband, Vaughn, flew me out to have a girl's weekend. We had SO MUCH FUN!!! I am going to do a whole post with pictures and journaling of all the fun things we did, but tonight I just want to write about some thoughts I had today as I was thinking about celebrating freedom. As Americans, we all celebrate the freedom that comes from living in a land where we are free from tyranny and dictatorship. At this time of year, it is so wonderful to all come together in celebration and remembrance of how our country began and what it should stand for. But, this year there is another freedom that I am so grateful for and deserves just as much celebration. While I was in Las Vegas, I realized how different my life is from so many others. As I looked all around me while Amber and I walked on the strip, throughout the MGM Grand hotel, and all around the pool area, I was so grateful to know what I know. I couldn't imagine the sorrow, guilt, and emptiness that must accompany a life filled with alcohol, drugs, gambling, and immorality. It is a completely different world than the one I surround myself with, and oh how glad I am that I feel completely out of place in it. I am so grateful for the freedoms that I enjoy from living a life free from addictive substances and free from the sins of immorality. There is so much freedom that comes from knowing who I am, where I came from, and where I want to go. There is so much freedom in truth, purity, and repentance. I couldn't and wouldn't want to live my life any other way.

No comments:

Blog Archive