Saturday, December 27, 2008

Wedding, Family, Christmas, and the Greatest Gift

Wow, it has been a long time. I feel like I have so much to catch up on. A couple of weekends ago, Cory and I took a trip to Minnesota to see our brother Logan get married. Him and Becca (his beautiful wife) were married in the temple on the coldest day EVER!! As we all came out of the temple to take pictures, there was literally a blizzard outside!! The wind was blowing the snow so hard and it was almost too much to be outside for even a couple of minutes. I'm sure the wind chill was at least -38. It was crazy, but fun as well. We had to drive an hour to the reception hall, which actually probably took twice as long since we had to drive slowly so we wouldn't end up in the ditch like so many other cars. Besides, the freezing weather, it was such an AMAZING trip!! It was so much fun to be with all of Cory's siblings. We actually didn't take our girls which was actually kinda nice (I'm not gonna lie). I was really missing them by the end of the weekend but it was nice to go on a "get-away" with Cory.

I was actually really nervous and apprehensive about going because Amber and Vaughn had their little baby Callie and Sean and Brittney had their little baby Kylin. You know, the cousins who were born within the week of when Clairisa was due. For quite awhile, I was determined not to go because I thought it would be too hard (especially when they blessed Callie Clairisa on Sunday), but then I changed my mind. As we landed in Minneapolis, I had this huge knot in my stomach and I almost felt sick b/c I was so nervous about seeing the babies. I just didn't want to fall apart. I just kept thinking about what Elaine Dalton said in conference, "I can do hard things...in fact, with Christ I can do all things."

Well I did it and I am so glad that I did. I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful it was to hold Callie and Kylin. I seriously feel like it was just what I needed. So healing. I don't know why, but it was. There was so many moments when I felt like Clairisa was there with me, especially during Callie's blessing.

We flew back a couple of days before Christmas. We had a wonderful Christmas together as a family, although we did miss having any other family around. There is just something about family that makes everything better. I love my family SO MUCH...and when I say my family I mean ALL of my family...husband, children, aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, siblings, in-laws, neices, nephews, and grandparents. I feel so blessed and very grateful!!

The greatest gift that I received this Christmas was the greatest gift ever given to man...the Atonement. Through Christ's atonement, I have been blessed with capacity beyond my own, comfort, strength, forgiveness, reconciliation, love, and healing.

Joy to the world the Lord has come...and will come again.

Merry Christmas!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

You've been on my mind so much lately. I'm glad you were able to go. That would have been very hard. What a blessing to be able to feel Clairisa's spirit there with you. I love what Sister Dalton said too. Absolutely true! This totally had me tear-ed up. It is so amazing to feel the blessings of the Atonement.

Glad you're back! We should get the kids together before school starts back up.

Melissa said...

I'm glad your back bloging! I was wondering how you were doing. I'm glad you guys had such a nice time at Logan's wedding & with family. Merry Christmas!

Deana said...

I think you made a wonderful decision about going on the trip. I know that Heavenly Father was there to help you with this tremedous step. Sister Dalton certainly know what she is talking about. Take care.

Deon said...

Merry Christmas Melissa to you and your family! I am so glad that the trip went well. I agree with Deana, Sister Dalton really does know what she's talking about. We all need to remember that quote!

Amber said...

Oh, how I love you!! It was so fun to be with you guys. I was thinking and I think that for us siblings it's been 5 years since we've all been together. Or was it at Cloey's blessing?? Either way, it's been awhile. What a blessing it was to all of us. Hopefully it won't be too long before we can get together again. I love you!

Tricia said...

Melissa, I am so glad you were able to share that time with the whole M. family...and that it turned out so well for you despite the great difficulty. I am so grateful for you!

Sherrie said...

I was just thinking today about the miracle you were shown as the Lord held the plane for you and Cory. It caused me to reflect upon the storm the Lord brought to save the early saints known as Zion's camp. The quote "Sometimes the Lord calms the storm and sometimes he lets the storm rage and calms the child" seems very applicable here. Truly the Lord was with you throughout it all. We love you, thank you for taking the step of faith into the dark because without you we would have missed so much.
Love, Mom

Jenny P. said...

loved this post, and your wonderful perspective.

Jessica said...

I felt the same way about Christmas and no family. My family was not able to return home so we really missed everyone. Good thing we know we have eternity, b/c if we didn't have our families forever, I don't think I'd like heaven very much.

MANDY said...

Melissa, it's so good to hear from you!!! I have missed you and have considered calling on several occasions, but you know how busy this season gets. I have been thinking of you guys a lot......I'm so glad to hear that you and Cory had such a great trip out for Logan's wedding. Maybe we'll get to see you next weekend at the Open House. Love you! I'm so happy that you had a good experience with the family and the comfort and love you felt when around the babies. Your words about the Atonement....so true!

Bonnie said...

WE WERE LOOKING EVERYWHERE FOR YOU GUYS. WE SAT BEHIND YOUR GIRLS. SOOO SWEET:)

Ashlie said...

Hey girl, sorry you have to read my depressing blogs...lol Tough times call for tough blogs. But I feel better. I'm so glad your Christmas has been doing so well. Please give Logan and Becca my best. I'm glad you decided to see your nieces and be there for the blessings. I can not tell you how much you inspire me with your strength. I think you are beautiful and amazing.

Blog Archive