Friday, December 05, 2008

Birthday Surprises

I had such a fabulous birthday yesterday!! I went to breakfast with my good friend (and previous neighbor), Julie. It was SO GOOD to see her, her daughter, and her cute little pregnant belly. Then I met Cory for lunch....always a fun time. After Katelund came home from school, my sweet neighbor, Katherine (who I LOVE), watched my girls while I went and had a thermo acupressure massage at Migun (it was AMAZING). When I came home the girls and Katherine's children surprised me with a present and a home-made card from each of them. (Have I ever told you how the Lord has blessed me my whole married life with the BEST neighbors EVER who always end up being some of my very best friends??) Anyways, then Cory came home and surprised me with my birthday presentS...two tickets for a 7 o'clock showing of Twilight (one for me and one for HIM) AND two tickets to................drum roll please................the Nutcracker ballet for tonight (in case you don't know...I LOVE ballet...he does not)!!!!! Seriously, could I have a more incredible husband?? I don't think so. Twilight was okay. I was definitely disappointed in the acting and some of the actors/actresses that they chose, but overall it was entertaining and fun to watch...even Cory thought it was okay. He even said (and I quote) "Maybe I'll pick up the 2nd book just to see what happens". Yes girls, he REALLY did say that. :)

This morning, I woke up to find Katelund completely dressed from head to toe. She had even remembered to wear tennis shoes for P.E. She had brushed her hair and put a barrette in her hair... AND her outfit was really cute (that's a bonus). She was making her own lunch when I walked in the kitchen and pouring her own cereal. WOW. I was blown away. I have been reading a book about how to raise independent children. I don't think I've done that much different, but apparently I have done something b/c both of my girls are really grasping on to the concept. Maybe I was just babying them too much before.

Anyways, it was a great day filled with surprises, perfect gifts, and lots of love.

20 comments:

Austyn said...

happy happy happy birthday!!!!! i'm glad it was so amazing. wish i could have been there to help you celebrate. :)

Lisa said...

that sounds great, esp the massage! i hope you enjoy the ballet tonight. happy birthday!!

Lew said...

Happy happy birthday!! I didn't know it was your big day yesterday. Glad you had a great one. You deserve it! I'll put it on my calendar for next year :-)
Love ya!!

Rebecca said...

Yay for you. Nothing makes getting older more bearable than being loved!

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday Melissa!
The Nutcracker sounds like fun and a bonus like friends. I have to agree there is nothing like them and I truly believe we need them and they need us. I'm glad you had a great day.

Stefi Patterson said...

I'm glad Cory is going with you to see those things, he needs it~ I hope you have so much fun!

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday! Brian went and saw Twilight with me too, and said it was a lot better than I thought it would be. What book are you reading about independent kids? Morgan is EXTREMELY independent, and Jackson isn't. I need help to tone her down a little bit, and help Jackson. ;)

Deon said...

Happy Birthday! That is so awesome that he bought you tickets to those 2 shows. I'm glad that you had a wonderful birthday. Enjoy the Nutcracker!

Deana said...

You definately deserve a wonderful birthday. Mine is the 9th and it is the same day as Caroline's surgery on her foot. I'm sure this birthday will be quite memorable. By the way Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas!

Bonnie said...

Great things come to great people:)

Jenna said...

Happy belated B-day! I totally agree about Twilight. Way impressed that Cory went with you!I bet the Nutcracker was awesome! What a fun birthday!

MANDY said...

Tell cory he definitely needs to read the others....so much better than the 1st, less girly. I'm very happy that your husband sacrificed his personal tastes to give you a very "you" gift. And, yay for the massage. love ya!

Amber said...

What a fun and wonderful birthday!! Dying to know how the ballet went. Love you!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Melissa! Sounds like it was a great day! I need the name of the book you are reading! Awesome!

janae said...

Happy Birthday! I also would like to know the name of that book.---janae

InkMom said...

I would actually like to know how to make my children less independent. As in, no, G-Dog, it's not okay that you got down the scissors and a bag of chocolate chips, opened them (without incident or injury -- impressive!) and fed them all to your brothers and a few to yourself while I was in the shower for all of 10 minutes. And hid the evidence where you thought I wouldn't find it, but I did anyway, or else I wouldn't be writing this comment.

InkMom said...

And . . . Happy Birthday!

(Birthday wishes get their own comment space.)

erin sheely said...

Happy birthday!! I'm so jealous that you got to see the Nutcracker!! That's fantastic!

All Fun Family said...

Wow, sounds like you had an awesome birthday! You deserve it. That's so sweet that Cory was willing to go sit through a movie and ballet that he wouldn't normally even want to see. How was the ballet? I've never been to a ballet, but have always wanted to (Jason feels the same as Cory about ballets).

Tricia said...

I'm so glad you had a great birthday and get to have such fabulous events to attend with your sweet hubby. Merry Christmas to you.

Blog Archive