Sunday, January 16, 2011

Between the Lines

Today in church I fell in love all over again with the Battle Hymn of the Republic. I have always liked this song. In fact, I remember singing it in my acapella choir group in high school. But this time as I sung it, the following verse jumped out at me and really spoke to my heart.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat:
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.

(Chorus)
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
Our God is marching on

Isn't it funny how you can go through three hours of church, listen to some amazing talks, be humbled by a much needed lesson, and yet, be taught the greatest sermon of all within a couple of lines of a verse in the closing song? Between those lines my heart was softened, my dedication renewed, and a prayer was answered. Between those lines I received strength and desire beyond my own as I realized how much more I should be doing. Between those lines the Spirit taught me my very own sermon. A sermon meant just for me.

No comments:

Blog Archive