Sunday, July 20, 2008

Things I've Learned While in the Hospital...

1. Prayer is powerful
2. How wonderful it is to see the face of a friend
3. How much I hate a bed pan (luckily, for now I have bathroom privileges) :)
4. How thankful I am for incredibly loving nurses
5. How good it feels to take a shower after a week and a half (disgusting, I know)
6. How sore your body can get from sitting/laying in bed all day
7. What an amazing husband I have!!!!
8. How much I miss fresh air
9. How much I love to snuggle with my little girls (even in a hospital bed).
10. As I have listened to the nurses tell me about other mothers in this unit (the high-risk maternity unit), I have realized what a miracle motherhood really is and how many sacrifices are made each day for some mothers to just have one baby. There was a mother in here about 5 years ago who came in because her water broke in her second trimester. The doctors told her that there was only a 5% chance of her baby surviving and that was only if she lay in a bed at the hospital for the rest of her pregnancy. She couldn't get up at all and she even had to eat lying down. The doctors discouraged her from doing it and told her that they thought she should just let the baby go. She would not. She stayed 72 days in the hospital laying in a bed so that her baby would have a 5% chance of living. And she made it. The baby was born perfect and she is now 5 years old, healthy, and beautiful. Isn't that an amazing story? I feel now more than ever that being a mother is one of the ultimate refining fires in this life. How humble I am to be among such amazing mothers who sacrifice so much. I believe that each mother has to go through their own trials, whether during pregnancy or later on and that how we handle each one is ultimately what determines the kind of woman we will become.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you still at the hospital? Thanks for sharing that beautiful story of a mother's sacrifice! Totally brought on the tears. We've missed you guys. We'll be here until Wednesday (then we're out of town for a couple of weeks) but if I can help you with something early this week let me know.
Dest

Lena said...

You are amazing too. I know it is hard (well, I can imagine anyway.) Just think how you'll be able to tell this little girl how much you went through just to get her here safely. What a great example of a mother's love. It's no wonder you have all these girls! And Cory is showing them the kind of man they should look for too. Great job you two!

Lisa said...

you are wonderful! you are strong! you are woman!

Lew said...

I didn't realize you were still in the hospital! Can I come see you or would that be too much? Let me know if you are having visitors. I can bring you anything to eat that sounds good, or some books from the library. Just let me know!!

Rebecca said...

You always say things so well. We are thinking of you, Cory, and your beautiful girls!

Sheri Kay said...

Melissa, you are amazing! I love your positive attitude and faith in God. Richard and I pray for you and Cory every night that you will be comforted and that your courage and faith will remain strong and that you will feel everyone's love and prayers for you. Thank you for your words of encouragement to me when I needed a lift. I read over some of my blogs from the past. Your words lifted my waivering faith!

MANDY said...

Thanks for sharing what you've been going through and what you've been learning. We can be inspired and strengthened so much just through the words of a friend....you all are still in our prayers. Love to each of you!

Amber said...

I HATE that you're still there!!! The things that a Mother will do to protect her young!! It's very impressive and I hope that you are able to at least keep somewhat entertained. If I lived closer, I would bring all my scrapping stuff and we would make that baby an album! Keep up the good work mommy!!

Blog Archive