Sunday, July 01, 2007

Singing Time


Have I ever written about how much I love teaching children? This week for singing time, I was asked to teach the whole time in both Jr. and Sr. primary. I really wanted to use the time to review the program songs for the year, but I also really wanted to use the time to teach them some prioneer songs (especially since they are some of my favorite songs to teach). I really wanted to teach them as much as I could about the pioneers while incorporating the songs. So...I got online and spent about an hour or so studying up about the trail and all of the significant places and events along the way. I got some posterboard, cut out the states, and went to work. I had so much fun doing it and I learned a TON!! It only took me about 4 hours (due to my children).

Anyways, I put velcro on the significant spots and then I made up riddles for each location that would teach the children about what happened there and then give a clue as to what song we were going to sing that related to the information. After singing each song, I had a child come up and move either the handcart or wagon to whatever spot they wanted to visit next. As the children came into the room, I was all dressed up in pioneer clothes and I told them that I was Sister Mann's 5th great grandma and that she asked me to teach them about the trek that I was part of it. The kids LOVED it !! It was so cute because in Senior primary they just couldn't stop asking questions, they wanted to know more and more (good think I studied up so much). It was a teacher's dream. It reminded me why I love teaching children so much. They are just like little sponges, and they just can't get enough. They love to learn. It was just what I needed because I have been feeling a little burned out in my calling lately. It is just hard to keep up the creativity every week for 4 years, but today I was reminded why I love it so much!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That looks AWESOME! That looks like one of those that is definately worth keeping for a very long time! And I'm glad you found your passion again!

Blog Archive