Thursday, April 18, 2013

Lessons from Nature



As I was bike riding the other day, I passed this tree that was totally being overtaken by the purple wisteria vine growing next to it. I remember the very first time I saw a purple wisteria vine in North Carolina. I remember thinking how beautiful it was and how southern it looked. But then I did some research to find out what it was called and learned about how deadly these vines can be. They wrap themselves around other trees and eventually take over and kill the tree. What starts out as a beautiful harmless purple-flowering vine can end up deadly. Isn't this so symbollic of sin? I often wonder what little seemingly harmless sins are beginning to wrap themselves around my heart, sins of omission or comission that are needing to be cut down and eliminated from my life. I think the purple wisteria vine is the most symbollic of pride. Pride is such a universal sin and is found everywhere and is at the root of most sins. I frequently have to repent of pride in my life. I hate it. I hate it when I recognize it in myself and feel so ashamed by thoughts or actions that are driven from pride. Just like the wisteria vine, we must daily cut ourselves free of the sins that if left alone, will eventually destroy us.

No comments:

Blog Archive