Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Feeling Better [and other random thoughts]

This has been the longest stretch of sickness EVER!!! On Sunday, I thought I was going to die. Okay not really, but I was SO weak and I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. Yesterday when I woke up, I was determined to feel better (mostly because I had things that I needed to get done and I didn't have time to be sick anymore). It was a pretty miserable day, but it's over and today I'm feeling so much better. Unfortunately, Katelund woke up with another fever this morning. But, at least I can take care of her today.

This morning I went and read all the comments on my education posts. I LOVED reading them!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to express your opinions. This morning I read a post (click here) by my friend Erin who wrote about the importance of having your own opinions and also respecting those of others. I always love to read what she writes, but this time it really hit home with me. Just as Erin pointed out, you can hardly listen to any political views these days without also hearing them slander those who disagree with them. I am DEFINITELY not a political expert by any means, but I do believe that this kind of slander and pride goes against the very core belief of a democracy, the idea that each man has the right to his/her own beliefs and opinions. If you disagree with a political issue stand up and disagree, don't hide behind sarcasm, mockery, and degrading impersonations. The second we start to take that right away, by bullying, persecuting, or slandering, I think we are on a very steep and slippery slope. It is, after all, the idea of coercing and leading with fear that is at the very heart of totalitarianism and dictatorships.

Last week I finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The books reminded me in many ways of George Orwell's book 1984. The books were very well written and a very fast-pace read, but they were more than that. The characters were gruesome, disturbing, and yet,heart warming and heroic. There were moments where I hated the book and wondered why I was still reading, and then other times when I loved it. I definitely would recommend them but with a caution. Go into it knowing that there are parts (especially in Book 3) that are violent. The books spoke to me on such a deeper level though. It made me so grateful for the country in which we are so blessed to live, but it also made me realize that the freedoms we enjoy are ones that we should still be constantly fighting for. The form of government that is depicted in the books, reminded both Cory and I of the government that exist today in North Korea. My heart just breaks for the people of North Korea. How did they get to where they are today? Really, how does any country go from one of democracy and freedom to one filled with oppression and fear? I don't know. All I know is it makes me want to be a greater fighter of freedom and a greater advocate of humanity and civility. It makes me want to be a more charitable neighbor, a better mother, and a more devoted disciple. For in the end, the government shall be upon His shoulders and He shall rule and reign as King of Kings. Oh, how I look forward to that day.

Okay, one more thing.......are you ready for this?? Nope, I'm not ready to tell. Maybe tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Ready for what? You can't leave us on that note. ;)

Blog Archive