Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reasons to Celebrate


REASON #1....Cory turned 32 yesterday. We went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner and had a great time. Especially when they made him ride the bull and sing to him in front of the whole restaurant. Of course, he loved it and was totally not embarrassed but he pretended like he was because the girls thought it was hilarious. The other day my sister told me about a co-worker of hers who lost their spouse unexpectedly in the night. It has really effected me. I couldn't imagine how boring and lonely my life would be without Cory in it. He is not only an incredible husband and father, he is also my very best friend. Nobody..and I mean NOBODY...can make me laugh like Cory can. He is a romantic, an optimist, a hard worker, a hard player...whether it is on the ball field (football, basketball, tennis, softball...you get the idea), in the swimming pool, or at home with his girls. He is also loyal, faithful, charitable, patient (unless he is driving), kind, and charismatic. AND one of the best things about him is that he just keeps getting better and better with age. :)


REASON #2... This last Saturday was our "5 for 5 on 25" 5k. At the same time that we were running (and our girls were biking), so was all of the rest of Amber's family and friends. We were celebrating because as of the 25th, Amber is officially in remission because she has been cancer free for 5 years. As I was running my 3.1 miles (actually, it was 4) I had a lot of time to think about Amber. We began our friendship when I was 15 years old, which means that she has been my best friend for half of my life. Have you ever heard the quote, "God knew that I loved you so much so he made you my sister."? That is exactly how I feel. She is AMAZING!! I have so MANY memories with Amber, but none of them are as vivid as the one when I found out that my best friend/sister had been diagnosed with renal cell kidney cancer. I remember the exact spot where I was sitting. I remember being in shock and trying to process what I had just been told. I remember when the tears started flowing. I remember the first time that I heard her voice after I found out and my desperate pleading prayer that it wouldn't be the last. Thankfully, it wasn't and hopefully it won't be for a very long time. Amber has been with me through the hardest moments of my life, as a teenage girl and as an adult. She has stood by my side, wrapped me in her arms and held me together at times when I felt like my life was shattering all around me. I truly believe that our friendship on earth is only a continuation of one that started a long time ago and one that will continue on throughout eternity.





Yesterday I received an email from my friend Tonya, who is the mother of Audrey (the sweet little girl who I referred to in my previous post). Here is what she wrote...."I wanted to send some pictures that you could add to your blog if you would like so that your readers can know Audrey a bit too. The first picture [sorry, it is actually the last] is just a few days after her second birthday. We discovered the lump on her back that turned out to be a very rare malignant Rhabdoid tumor. The tumor was removed the week of Halloween 2009. The second picture is Audrey showing her happy spirit toward the end of her chemotherapy and after she had already completed radiation. Audrey completed her last hospitalized chemotherapy May 28th (the same day her baby sister was born). Chemotherapy ended just two weeks after that. In the past three months we have had scans that indicate there are no lasting cancer cells. Her immune system is still very weak and we are constantly worried about fevers and illnesses as they will still require hospitalization (has happened once since treatment stopped). Audrey will have a second set of scans in early November. Today Audrey is celebrating her 3rd birthday!"

And that my friends, is REASON #3.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I went to Texas Roadhouse for the first time last week & I LOVED it!!! I can't wait to go back. Happy Birthday Cory! Melissa, I am so glad you married such a great guy with a great family. You both are truly blessed!

Audrey is a beautiful girl. She must have strong parents to go through such a big challenge & be able to handle it with smiles on their faces, as well as their little girls. I wish them all the best of luck!

MANDY said...

Happy belated bday to Cory! I used to go there for most of my birthdays since Brad and I met. Good food, good price. We were thinking of Amber and your family on Sat, but sorry we didn't get our 5K together. What an inspiration little Audrey is...thanks for sharing. Love ya!

Blog Archive