Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Presents"



{This picture has nothing to do with my post...it's just the most recent picture I have of her.}

Tonight Katelund said our family prayer before bed. It was seriously one of the most beautiful prayers I have ever heard her give. She prayed for those who do not have families, she prayed for each member of our family specifically. She then prayed for everyone on the earth and for the prophet. She thanked Heavenly Father for Clairisa and that she is still part of our family and blessed her that she would have fun in heaven. :) She then thanked Heavenly Father for a Daddy that is fun and that plays with her, for a Mommy that takes care of her, for sisters who love her, and for a family who will go to her parade (she was very excited about the parade that she put together...Cory played the drums, I was the queen, and her and Cloey marched, danced, and sang) Then she said the following....

"...and thank you for all of the wonderful presents that each of us have been given. Thank you for the present that I have of being nice and caring for other people...."

At this point, I was on the verge of laughing and crying at the same time. Laughing because I thought it was so cute how she said "presents" instead of gifts. Crying because once again I have been powerfully and humbly taught by a child. I have never said a prayer of thanks for the gifts that I have been blessed with, in fact, most of the time, unfortunately, I am too focused on admiring and wishing for the gifts of others. Comparing. It is a horrible thing to do. Something that I have to persistantly and constantly try to avoid. Just this last week, I read a blog post of a friend that really effected me and has been on my mind ever since. If you click here you can read it from "Mommy Snark" herself (She's a fabulous writer!) My favorite line from her post is this...

"What a disservice to someone’s talent to only enjoy it through a veil of jealousy, to waste time that could be spent appreciating and enjoying, tearing myself down over something that I am not, that I may not ever be. I remember that when I love who I am, it is much easier to love others for who they are."

She is so right!! So tonight as I say my prayers, I will pray for the ability to love myself and others for who they are, repent of the natural [woman] in me who too often looks at others through a "veil of jealousy", and express gratitude for the "presents" that I have been so very blessed with.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Melissa, I LOVE this post, especially the quote from your friend. I think I too often look through the "veil of jealousy" thanks for the sweet words!

Sherrie said...

What a beautiful post; It brings a new perspective to the words"Sweet Hour of Prayer".

Melanie Anne said...

Sweet post!! Melissa--Will you email me with your address? I have a little thank you note sitting here for you:)
My email is melandboys@gmail.com

Marian said...

Thanks Melissa:)!

Wonderful prayer Katelund!

I'm hoping that no comment here means Cory made it through the "rearranging" at CBL!

Marian

Beadles said...

I think it is so sweet to look at our talents as "presents" and love that she interchanged the word gifts. I think about your family all of the time, especially Clarissa. Nathan even asks about her. When we thought we may not be able to have Elysse here on this Earth - Nathan asked if she and Clarissa would be friends and wait for all of us, together. I cannot tell you how much I look to you and your beautiful family as an example.

MANDY said...

beautiful....our children teach us so much, don't they?

Carrie said...

Katelund is so awesome. I wonder where she gets that?...You are all awesome and we miss you!

Lisa said...

I stole your quote. Those are truely words to live by. Thanks for sharing!

Blog Archive