Sunday, January 03, 2010

2010

I love the beginning of a new year. I love the whole idea of recommitting, refocusing, and reprioritizing (I totally just made up that word...my spell check is telling me it doesn't work, but I think it does). I love change and I always have. I go crazy when my life is so predictable and monotonous that I feel like I am living in the movie Groundhog Day. Which is why I have actually really enjoyed living in so many different places in our 9 1/2 years of marriage. Although I find joy in change and newness, I struggle when it comes to making changes within myself. I am so grateful to know that through the enabling and redemptive power of the atonement, I can change. But, it is still not always easy, in fact, it can be a lot of work because I think that the key to making permanent changes in behavior and attitude is consistency (and of course lots of repentance and prayer). It's not that I am doing anything really bad but there are so many things about my character that are flawed and there is a lot of room for improvement. So for the sake of a new year and in the spirit of making resolutions...here are some things that I will be consistently working on in 2010.

1. I don't want to miss one single day of scripture reading.


2. I want to really put forth more effort into being a better homemaker (this includes; learning how to make homemade wheat bread {thanks mom for the wheat grinder], spend more quality time teaching and playing with my children, beautify our home, be more frugal, focus on being more healthy, and of course....BE MORE ORGANIZED (that is on my list every year...but I really do think I am getting better).

3. I want to continue my efforts in learning the gospel even better. I am so excited to study the Old Testament this year in Sunday School. I have really been immersing myself into studying lately. I think that the more I learn the more I want to learn more! Does that make any sense? I just finished reading Orson Scott Card's book, "Stone Tables" (SO GOOD). It is a religious fictional book about Moses. I also read "Sarah" not too long ago (about Abraham and Sarah). I love to learn through historical fiction!!! I strongly recommend both of those books. I am now currently reading "Joseph Smith A Rough Stone Rolling" (also, very good!) and "Women of the Old Testament". I feel like there are so many things that I don't know and the more that I learn the more that I realize this. Whenever I listen to a General Authority speak, I am in awe of their vast knowledge of the scriptures and of historical events. It is such a admirable quality, one that I would like to develop, even if it is just a fraction of their knowledge.

4. I would like to be more humble and less selfish. I am so guilty of being prideful. I know that it is a stumbling block for me in many ways. This one is going to take a lot of work and a lot of heavenly help, but I also know that it is something I really need to work on.

So there you have it...my goals for 2010. This year is a big year for me. It is the year that I will be turning 30, the year that I will celebrate 10 years of marriage, and the year that I will be a mother of four beautiful little girls. I don't know what is in store for me or my family this year or what challenges and trials we will face, but I do know that I am going in strong and determined to make this year one of change and improvement; one filled with love, faith, and hope for the future. When I took Cloey to the doctor recently, he told me that his son had decided to not have any children because "why would somebody want to bring an innocent child into this corrupt world?". I told the doctor that I would, because I know that there is a lot of evil and corruption in our world and government, but I also know that the Lord is in charge. I know in whom I trust, and because of that, I don't think there is any need to fear the future. Yes, there is a lot of evil in the world, but there is also a lot of good!!

Today in YWs I introduced the 2010 mutual theme which is found in Joshua 1:9...."Be strong and of a good courage: be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee withersoever thou goest." I can't think of a more perfect theme for not only the youth, but also for me.

So here's to being courageous, making changes, and looking for the good in 2010!

5 comments:

Kelli said...

I clicked on your site through Blogher. Those are great goals and you challenged me through them. I've got similar goals, though I think I need to pen them as you've done for greater accountability.

God Bless!

Rebecca said...

Crazy, because I think you are already great at everything you named.

MANDY said...

I am with Rebecca...you are so awesome at the things you mentioned. You are an example to me in so many ways. Love ya! Happy 2010!

Melissa said...

Thanks Mandy and Rebecca but, I think it has been way too long since you've been around me. :) Rebecca, I have actually been thinking of doing that whole organizational project by room on my blog like you did awhile back. That SO inspired me!!! And Mandy, you are like the ultimate example of organization and order (spiritually and temporally). It's because of friends like you guys that I see all of the many areas in which I am so lacking!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Blog Archive